1 (edited by agrube2 2021-07-18 18:32:35)

Topic: Unable to apply

Hello, i'm a newby.

I've a 4T harddrive running since dec 2017 as a backupdrive at a SBS 2012 Server (Microsoft :S ). Normally it should be changed daily by an operator, but this doesn't work always :) .

By changing the workspace.drives on this server, the ms-backup starts failing. Repeated deleting and formating of this 4t with ms-tools results in a crc-error.

I took this drive home and connect it to a gparted-live-0.26.0-2-i686 and a gparted-live-1.1.0-6-i686.Both result in error, but i only have the output of the 0.26:

GParted 0.26.0 --enable-online-resize

Libparted 3.2
Delete /dev/sda2 (ntfs, 3.64 TiB) from /dev/sda  00:00:44    ( ERROR )

calibrate /dev/sda2  00:00:01    ( SUCCESS )

path: /dev/sda2 (partition)
start: 262184
end: 7813996247
size: 7813734064 (3.64 TiB)
delete partition  00:00:43    ( ERROR )
libparted messages    ( INFO )

Input/output error during write on /dev/sda
Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda1: Input/output error
Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda2: Input/output error
Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda: Input/output error
Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda1: Input/output error
Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda2: Input/output error
Input/output error during read on /dev/sda
end of file while reading /dev/sda
Input/output error during read on /dev/sda
end of file while reading /dev/sda
Partition(s) 2 on /dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot now before making further changes.
Error fsyncing/closing /dev/sda: Input/output error

========================================
Delete /dev/sda1 (unknown, 128.00 MiB) from /dev/sda

========================================

I can't imagine, the drive is damaged, but it looks like.

Can you please help?

Re: Unable to apply

The expression "Input/output error" in the report is mostly associated to hardware issues. This can be a damaged or dying hard drive, a bad or loose connector, a controller problem, a faulty USB port ...

You don't write how this hard drive is connected to the system: SATA/SAS controller or USB port?
You can try to use another controller port or USB port and verify if you get same errors.
You can try to change the connection cable and secure the connections.

You can look for system errors in the Linux terminal (from GParted) using the command
sudo dmesg
In case of a bad drive you get repeated I/O error messages during bootup. For a USB drive you open the terminal, you run dmesg and you connect the USB cable or you switch the drive on.

You can check the drive's status by using the command
sudo smartctl -a
This runs the tools that read and report the "health" status from the SMART system that is part of the hard drives firmware since long and takes note of several problems during the drive's operation.
This is valid for SATA/SAS attached drives, as well as for most USB attached drives.

You can look at the manufacturer's web page for hard drive check tools that are specifically designed for their product.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

3 (edited by agrube2 2021-07-18 20:59:27)

Thank you for your reply.

class413 wrote:

The expression "Input/output error" in the report is mostly associated to hardware issues. This can be a damaged or dying hard drive, a bad or loose connector, a controller problem, a faulty USB port ...

You don't write how this hard drive is connected to the system: SATA/SAS controller or USB port?

It's a SATA, connected to an ASUS mobo, booting Gparted from e2b-USB-Stick.

class413 wrote:

You can try to use another controller port or USB port and verify if you get same errors.
You can try to change the connection cable and secure the connections.

first it was connected to the server via USB, then by SATA at home. Both report error. So it is already double checked.

This PC's SATA-connecting is verified a million times, as this is a big part of my work (upgrade to SSD). The name of the used PC is "victim" :).

class413 wrote:

You can look for system errors in the Linux terminal (from GParted) using the command
sudo dmesg

I will do tomorrow!

class413 wrote:

In case of a bad drive you get repeated I/O error messages during bootup. For a USB drive you open the terminal, you run dmesg and you connect the USB cable or you switch the drive on.

Booting e2b gparted seems to rum flawless. There is no Windows on that victim-pc.

class413 wrote:

You can check the drive's status by using the command
sudo smartctl -a

Tomorrow.

class413 wrote:

This runs the tools that read and report the "health" status from the SMART system that is part of the hard drives firmware since long and takes note of several problems during the drive's operation.
This is valid for SATA/SAS attached drives, as well as for most USB attached drives.

You can look at the manufacturer's web page for hard drive check tools that are specifically designed for their product.

Good idea! Seagate. But currently my USB-dock is blocked by a backup of my music, as I had to free my 8TB for a file backup at customer's server.

I forgot to write that the hard drive in question is already in use for more than 3.5 years. Corporate grade drives for servers are usually very resistant and come often with 5 year warranty. PC grade drives are less resistant and are made for a lower data traffic than professional/corporate drives. Server or NAS drives are usually stressed because of long non-stop up times and repeated start-stop cycles.
So, it wouldn't be surprising if the drive is faulty, especially if it belongs to the first category.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

The Seatools utility aborts the long test, the serial number isn't correct (56444444444). So i'm afraid this drive was messed up at the SBS 2012.

Thank you for your interest.