Topic: [SOLVED] unable to add unallocated space to partition

Hi there everyone!

I mistakenly made my VM drive 8GB (instead of memory size).  I resized the VDI to be 50GB but I'm having a problem figuring out how to make the partition absorb the space.  During my Googling, I started to read stuff that says I can't because the unallocated space isn't sitting next to the partition I want to resize I would like to add the 42GB of space to sda1. Could someone tell me how I go about doing this?

Thanks for your time!

https://i.imgur.com/GbcNJvd.png

Re: [SOLVED] unable to add unallocated space to partition

This is exactly your issue GParted can't move extended partition to the right?.
And here is a tutorial with pictures of every step Use GParted to increase disk size of a Linux native partition.

mfleetwo wrote:

This is exactly your issue

Thanks for the help!  I was able to follow the instructions until I got to the following:

https://i.imgur.com/ITOnBL6.png

In the tutorial, where they were able to slide sda1 through the unallocated, my sda1 doesn't allow any growth.  It seems my free space is trapped in sda2.

I'm sure I've messed up somewhere but I can't figure out where.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Before attempting to grow sda1 (ext4), move the start of the sda2 (extended) to the right as much as possible.

5 (edited by schwim 2021-07-09 16:24:56)

mfleetwo wrote:

Before attempting to grow sda1 (ext4), move the start of the sda2 (extended) to the right as much as possible.

Done and working, thanks so much for your help!

Gitlab issue #86 - GParted bug A partition cannot end after the end of the device is a known issue which can occur when partitions are not MiB aligned and they are moved to the very end of the drive.

1. Apply that "Move /dev/sda5 to the right" operation you already have composed.
2. Move the start of sda2 (extended) 1 MiB short of as far right as possible.  Apply that operation.
3. Grow sda1 (ext4).