1 (edited by maxi.bojko1 2020-12-05 00:57:31)

Topic: HDD Problem[SOLVED]

Hello GParted community,
So my problem is that I bought an Seagate BarraCuda ST1000DM010 and after a while the harddrive just disappeared and I couldn’t start my pc. Then I unplugged it and it worked but everytime I plugged it back in it didn’t start. Then I looked up in the bios and the harddrive was their and I even could look what’s on the harddrive but I couldn’t  start my pc. Then I saw that I can be fixed with GParted and now I have the problem that an error code appears everytime and I can’t convert it to NTFS. I could create a partition and everything but I can’t convert it. Maybe someone can help because i need a quick solution. I can’t work really on it and I need it for school.

Maxim

P.S. sorry for my bad grammar I am from Germany.

Re: HDD Problem[SOLVED]

You have to give more detailed info about the problem. What you give above is rather confusing.

From what you write, it is an internal hard drive.

after a while the harddrive just disappeared and I couldn’t start my pc

disappeared from the operating system? from the BIOS? or just the filesystem or the boot files are corrupted and so the o.s. can't boot?
From the BIOS you can't read the content of the partitions, you can only know that a hard drive of a specific model is connected. You can't even be sure if it is good or broken.

Then I unplugged it and it worked but everytime I plugged it back in it didn’t start.

Do you mean that the hard drive works out of the computer but when you install it in the computer the drive doesn't spin? doesn't boot? or the computer doesn't start? / doesn't boot?

an error code appears everytime and I can’t convert it to NTFS

What error code?
convert what to NTFS? NTFS is a filesystem type, not related to the hardware. If the problem is a corrupted filesystem, I can understand that the o.s. can't boot.
Another possible issue is that the boot code is corrupted and needs to be "repaired".

Did you already try to boot GParted on this computer?
If no, you can try GParted Live (from a cd or a usb stick) and give a screenshot or a photo of the screen, to see if GParted is able to read the drive.
The GParted documentation and GParted Live documentation are in the page
https://gparted.org/documentation.php
of the GParted web site.
Please be as specific and precise you can in your descriptions.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hi, so the hdd doesn’t appear on windows. Like if I go to „my computer“ where all my hard drives are it would not show up. But if I go to the bios I could see the hard drive that was missing and I could enter from the bios on the hard drive and see everything I had on it.

You can't even be sure if it is good or broken.

I am sure that it is working, because I tried the hard drive on my friends pc. It showed up on windows and worked.

Do you mean that the hard drive works out of the computer but when you install it in the computer the drive doesn't spin? doesn't boot? or the computer doesn't start? / doesn't boot?

Yes if I plugged in the sata and the power cable for the hard drive windows would not start. I have windows on my SSD and without the hard drive, that is only for saving up my school work, it worked perfectly fine, but when I connect the hard drive windows would not boot up.

Did you already try to boot GParted on this computer?

Yes i did. I found their the hard drive I deleted everything from it and have done some test if there are any problems in reading or writing their weren’t any problems. Then I made a new partition table and made up a new partition that was ext2.
I let it made the partition and then I converted the partition to NTFS. But then an error code would appear: ERROR (5)
But this was when I wrote it first.
Now i have a complete different problem. The computer starts the symbol of the motherboards appears, where you can enter bios and freezes, when the hard drive is connected. I disconnected the hard drive start up the computer again it works. What I think now is that the hard drive is not working anymore. I bought the hard drive 2 months ago.

maxi.bojko1 wrote:

Hi, so the hdd doesn’t appear on windows. Like if I go to „my computer“ where all my hard drives are it would not show up. But if I go to the bios I could see the hard drive that was missing and I could enter from the bios on the hard drive and see everything I had on it.

The "My computer" page shows not the connected hard drives but the partitions/filesystems that the o.s. understands and can mount (excluding some hidden reserved or recovery partitions). The BIOS (or UEFI in newer motherboards) can access every connected drive, unless it is completely broken as hardware.

There is another tool in mswindows, the "Disk management". It shows every hard drive (ssd and USB too) with a graphical presentation of the partitions. If you already deleted the partition table, the drive must appear empty. Ext2-3-4 partitions are probably shown as empty or unknown.

maxi.bojko1 wrote:

I am sure that it is working, because I tried the hard drive on my friends pc. It showed up on windows and worked.

That's good, so you were able to backup your data, I guess.

maxi.bojko1 wrote:

without the hard drive, ... it worked perfectly fine, but when I connect the hard drive windows would not boot up.
Now i have a complete different problem. The computer starts the symbol of the motherboards appears, where you can enter bios and freezes, when the hard drive is connected. I disconnected the hard drive start up the computer again it works. What I think now is that the hard drive is not working anymore. I bought the hard drive 2 months ago.

It seems strange. I remember a similar problem in the past, where one couldn't reboot into the o.s. when a usb storage device was connected to any usb port. You had to disconnect the USB cable just to allow the power supply unit to start working, and then plug it back into the port. This problem was related to the BIOS, because it occurred for any operating system, Linux as well as windows. It wasn't valid for any computer, as the BIOS isn't the same.

You can try the smartctl command from GParted , to access the SMART information of the hard drive. The drive's firmware stores info about any problem concerning the hardware. I can perform tests too.
You have to boot from the GParted live, open a terminal window and give the command

sudo smartctl -a

This will display info about every storage unit that is connected.

Another idea is to try to connect the drive into another sata port of the motherboard, in case that port is somehow faulty.
Even a bad cable or connector can cause problems.

Furthermore, you can try the Linux command

sudo dmesg

to monitor the kernel's messages during the boot up process. Sometimes, repeated failing attempts for something can indicate potential hardware problems. Even brand new drives can be faulty.

Anyway, with GParted you can format the partition as NTFS directly.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***