Topic: Is the non-live version of 1.1.0 available for download?

Hello, I am trying out Linux Mint for the first time and I realized that I need to resize my LUKS encrypted partition.  Gparted seems like the best software to do the job, but I cannot for the life of me find a deb file to install the NON "live" version of 1.1.0.

The version in the Mint package repo is only at v 0.3 and I would like the latest version, because there have been many updates related to LUKS since 0.3.

I found the source code for 1.1.0 but I am not THAT knowledgable with compiling, and I am unfortunately going down a rabbit hole because every single step of the way I am encountering problems with dependencies.

Please can someone help me find a installable version of 1.1.0 (non Live) for Mint?  Thank you.

The following is my rant a little ranty and probably just shows how dumb I am, but these are the problems I was having.

Doing ./configure in gparted lead me to have to install build-essentials before continuing.  After that, ./configure said the the version of intltool that comes with build-essentials was too old.  So I had to track down a newer version of intltool (which seems like abandoned software at this point).  Once I "make" and "install" that, it tells me that intltools has an error.  It uses Perl regex that has been depreciated in the newer version of Perl on my system.  No patch is available, so I had to open up /usr/local/bin/intltool-update and literally correct the regex in like a dozen places.  Then after that there was still another error, which I forget what it was but I got so fed up that I just uninstalled build-essentials and came here to ask for help.

I don't want to build this software myself.  Due to my unsuccessful attempts to build like 3 layers of dependencies, I have all kinds of crap files in my home dir and /usr/local that I don't want, but I'm not sure whether its safe to delete them.  I am just getting so fed up by the out-of-date software packages available in the Mint repo.  This OS was really highly rated, but it's like the package maintainers fell asleep at the wheel.  I had a much better experience compiling and installing packages from Pacman in my headless Manjaro Raspberry Pi.  At least those packages seems more up to date.

2 (edited by mfleetwo 2020-05-14 11:45:13)

Re: Is the non-live version of 1.1.0 available for download?

We release source code for GParted and build the GParted Live CD.  We can't build binary packages of GParted for every type of Linux distribution.  That is what the distributions do themselves.

So first a disclaimer.  I don't use Linux Mint but I assume that it can use packages from either Ubuntu or Debian as it is based on one of those distributions.

GParted release 0.32.0 and later includes all the LUKS supported features.
(It is best to use the latest or close to the latest version of GParted as that includes more fixes for other issues too).
* All GParted News
* GParted 0.32.0

According to gparted search on pkgs.org, gparted 1.0.0 (only one release before the current 1.1.0) is available from Ubunbu 20.04 LTS and Debian Sid repositories.  Can click through to individual pages and get the download links for those packages.  However it might be that (your) Linux Mint is too old to take those packages.
* https://pkgs.org/search/?q=gparted

mgrotke wrote:

The version in the Mint package repo is only at v 0.3 and I would like the latest version, because there have been many updates related to LUKS since 0.3.

Are you saying Linux Mint includes GParted 0.3 package?  GParted 0.3 was released on 04 September 2006, nearly 14 years ago.
What version of Linux Mint are you running and what version of gparted does it include?

lsb_release -a
dpkg-query -l gparted

Out of curiosity what is wrong with GParted Live CD?
Write it to a CD or USB key and reboot your computer.  They you have access to the latest version of GParted regardless of what version is included or not with your distribution.

Hello mfleetwo, thanks for replying to me and providing the information about the 1.0.0 Ubuntu package.  You're right, Mint should be able to use that (I think).

mfleetwo wrote:

Are you saying Linux Mint includes GParted 0.3 package?  GParted 0.3 was released on 04 September 2006, nearly 14 years ago.

Oh, my apologies!  I meant to say 0.30 released in 2017!  (Not 0.3).

mfleetwo wrote:

What version of Linux Mint are you running and what version of gparted does it include?

I just switched from Windows 7 this week using the latest one available on Mint's website (19.3 "Tricia").

mfleetwo wrote:

Out of curiosity what is wrong with GParted Live CD?
Write it to a CD or USB key and reboot your computer.  They you have access to the latest version of GParted regardless of what version is included or not with your distribution.

Well, the partition is a LUKS encrypted partition and I need to shrink it.  As far as I understand, the following page says that it's only supported to do this action from "online" (when the partition is already mounted).  Doesn't that mean I need to have booted into the system already?

https://i.imgur.com/N9GjCqm.png

I definitely understand the value of a bootable partitioning tool.  I have sometimes in the past found it necessary (Large Drive Tools, etc), but it would definitely be more convenient if it was possible to do it from the desktop without having to reboot at all haha.

Thanks for any additional insight you can give me.

Supported online just means that the LUKS encrypted partition has to be open.  That can equally well be done from GParted Live CD as from your Linux Mint OS.  Either use GParted (Partition > Open Encryption) or from the command line using cryptsetup luksOpen ....

mfleetwo wrote:

Supported online just means that the LUKS encrypted partition has to be open.  That can equally well be done from GParted Live CD as from your Linux Mint OS.  Either use GParted (Partition > Open Encryption) or from the command line using cryptsetup luksOpen ....

Thanks, I did end up downloading and using the live USB.  It worked well.  I did also have to use LVM commands to shrink the filesystem and the LV before I could shrink the partition.