Topic: Troubles expanding disk space (Virtual machine disk space expansion)
The problem boils down to the subject: My virtual machine (VirtualBox fixed space) is running out of disk space, so I expanded it's virtual storage. Here are the exact steps I took:
1. Exported the virtual disk image and imported into VMWare (I decided to migrate to VMWare). I also did some cleaning up, such as uninstall some VBox stuff and installing VMWare Tools.
2. I expanded the disk space from 35 GB to 80 GB.
3. I install GParted (to be able to allocate the space).
4. I opened GParted successfully. I see four partitions: /dev/sda1 under ext4, mounted at /, with 33 gbs. I also see an unallocated partition with 45 gbs, and two smaller partitions under the file systems 'extended' and 'linux-swap'. I right click the /dev/sda1 (33gb partition) and click 'Resize/Move'.
5. Minimum size: 33791 MiB. Maximum size: 33791 MiB. I cannot drag the slider in either direction to resize the partition.
6. I figure that I cannot resize a partition since I'm booted into the very partition I'm trying to modify. I open my windows Disk Management tool (my computer runs native Windows)
7. I don't see any additional partitions. This makes sense, since these are virtual drives we're talking about. But now I'm in a catch 22 where I can only detect the partition when I'm booted into the very partition I need to modify.
Any help on how I can allocate the free space for my partition is appreciated.