Topic: Need Help merging partitions on a dual boot Win 10 - Ubuntu system

I have tried unsuccessfully to somehow combine the 3 unallocated spaces (4 MiB, 1 MiB and 480.09 MiB) with the 429.69 GiB partition that contains my Ubuntu Bionic Beaver partition. Please see below for where my hard drive stands now. It dual boots fine with Windows 10 latest build and Ubuntu 18.04.1.

Gparted "screen"

Partition        File System    Mount Point   Label             Size         Used        Unused       Flags
/dev/sdb1        NTFS                         System Reserved   500.00 MiB   32.46 MiB   467.54 Mib   boot
/dev/sdb2        NTFS                                             1.40 TiB   --          --
/dev/sdb3        extended                                       429.69 GiB   --          --           lba
   unallocated   unallocated                                      4.0 MiB    --          --
   /dev/sdb5     ext4           /                               429.69 GiB   20.59 GiB   409.09 GiB
   unallocated   unallocated                                      1.00 MiB   --          --
unallocated      unallocated                                    480.09 MiB   --          --

I couldn't figure out how to post my screen shot from Gparted.

[mfleetwo: Edited markup and layout of text "screen" shot]

Re: Need Help merging partitions on a dual boot Win 10 - Ubuntu system

When running GParted from the OS on the hard drive, there are limitations to what can be changed while the root (/) file system is mounted and in use.

To achieve what you want, boot your machine from the GParted Live CD/USB (or other bootable Linux distribution with GParted).  Also note that the Ubuntu installation media contains GParted so you may already have a bootable Linux with GParted.  Boot from Ubuntu installation media, select "Try Ubuntu" and launch GParted.

Then you will be able to:
1. Grow the sdb3 extended partition to the right as much as possible
2. Grow the sdb5 (/) partition to the right as much as possible

By the way extra advice on posting screen shots to the forum can be found in this thread Meta -> put screenshot into post?.

3 (edited by bradski 2019-02-07 20:39:52)

Re: Need Help merging partitions on a dual boot Win 10 - Ubuntu system

[Solved]

Greetings mfleetwo,

Thanks for the tips. It worked flawlessly. The problem I was having was that the size of what I was appending was so small relative to the existing disk space that it looked like there was no room to grow the partition. The graphics display fooled me.
Here is what I ended up with:

https://app.box.com/s/z9xmlj8o6sczgzp9iybfvp4rvr3iwpm0

Kind regards, bradski