Topic: 2 Partitions With 2 Different File Systems

I bought a 2 TB hard drive for my PS4, a 1 TB hard drive for my PS3, and a 3 TB external hard drive to backup my PS3 and PS4. I discovered that the PS3 uses a FAT32 file system and the PS4 uses an exFAT file system. I want to create 2 partitions on the external hard drive. One partition that uses a FAT32 file system and a third of the available space to backup the PS3 and a second partition that uses an exFAT file system and two thirds of the available space to backup the PS4. I haven't been able to figure out how to do that. How do I do that? I would rather not have to buy 2 external hard drives just to back up both systems.

Also, when I try to use the Resize/Move option, I'm unable to move the bar to change the partition size. When I change the numbers in the field and then try to change a number in another field, it automatically changes the numbers back to the way they were to begin with. Below is a picture of the window I'm talking about taken from the GParted site.

https://gparted.org/docs/moving-space-between-partitions/C/figures/9823OS_14_02.png

Re: 2 Partitions With 2 Different File Systems

Q: How to create 2 partitions?
As the drive is larger than 2 TB it must use GPT partition table.  Check first and create a partition table if required.  Then just create 2 new partitions.  GParted can create FAT32 file systems.  However Microsoft assert patents on exFAT and charge license fees.  As GParted is a free project we can't support exFAT.  Depending on how you will copy the files you could use FAT32 or NTFS instead.

Relevent sections in the GParted Manual are:

• Selecting a Device

• Viewing Device Information (look at what GParted reports for "Partition table:")

• Creating a New Partition Table

• Creating a New Partition

Q: Can't resize/move sda5?
That colour looks like an NTFS file system.  GParted definitely can resize and move NTFS file systems.  What do the following commands report:

sudo parted /dev/sda print
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda
sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
sudo lsblk -o name,maj:min,rm,size,ro,type,fstype,label,mountpoint
sudo ntfsresize --info --force --no-progress-bar /dev/sda5

I finally got around to trying this out and I can't do what you're saying I need to do. There isn't an option to create a partition table. I'm beginning to think that it's because I'm using the free version of the program. I want to be able to do this without paying for a program.

bigk18 wrote:

I finally got around to trying this out and I can't do what you're saying I need to do. There isn't an option to create a partition table. I'm beginning to think that it's because I'm using the free version of the program. I want to be able to do this without paying for a program.

To Create Partition table with GParted (Be Carful you are on the right drive!):
On the menu bar of GParted, click Device, Create Partition Table...

And you shouldn't have any partitions on that drive when you do it....

5 (edited by bigk18 2018-12-09 03:20:49)

I think I may have been using the wrong program. I thought I was using a GParted program. I created a GParted boot disk and tried to load the program but I get stuck on a screen and it won’t do anything. I let it sit for a couple minutes but it didn’t do anything. Here is where I'm stuck:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8opdw5rnbkhu … d.jpg?dl=0

bigk18 wrote:

I think I may have been using the wrong program. I thought I was using a GParted program. I created a GParted boot disk and tried to load the program but I get stuck on a screen and it won’t do anything. I let it sit for a couple minutes but it didn’t do anything. Here is where I'm stuck:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r8opdw5rnbkhu … d.jpg?dl=0

That looks like somehow the desktop manager is not loading, and the prep scrip jamming up before loading gparted (actually it is the same script that starts both).
Before you most likely easier to just dl another copy - if possible check the integratey of the .iso file before anything else.
Live boot image links are on gparted site at:
https://gparted.org/download.php

The last time I downloaded the program, I used the file gparted-live-0.32.0-1-i686.iso. This time I used the file gparted-live-0.32.0-1-amd64.iso and it worked. I was able to create the 2 partitions I needed and they are detected on the PS3 and PS4. However, only 1 of the partitions is coming up in my computer. How do I get both partitions to come up in my computer?

humm - I almost want to say os not recignizing gpt partition table , but you say it dose show one partition.  I personally don't know much about Windows (I use build your own pc, and only use Linux on it, a few distros installed on a multi-boot) but I do know from using other peoples on occasion the Windows 10 professional can use gpt partitioned drives - any other version of Windows I have no idea.
However, you can always access it with gparted live.  Just use the command terminal to create a mount point, and mount the partition, just DO NOT forget to unmount it when done.  I normally open a terminal with root privalages for this, but if not, just add sudo in front of the commands.
The mount point is really just a folder that the partition is going to be attached to (to open a command terminal with gparted live just right-click anywhere on the desktop and you should see it in the menu that pops up) To make it easy, in this example, I'll just call it mountpoint11 in the root folder (remember sudo if terminal not opened with root privileges)
   mkdir /mountpoint1
You need to know the partition to mount, you can get that by looking at the actual partitioning program, say it's partition sdb1, the mount command would be
   mount /dev/sdb1 /mountpoint1
Repeat for all needed partitions.  Now you can use the filemanager (pcmanfm) to copy or whatever.  If you need to copy from a exfat partition (a.k.a. fat64) I have not had occasion to try it myself (since I can't create the partitions at all) but hear you can use exfat parrtition from debian based Linux distros (GParted live is Debian based) by installing a set of programs to work with exfat (the gparted partition manager still will not create them) to install that set - again from command terminal (and if not opened with root privileges prefixed with sudo)
  apt update
  apt install exfat-utils
To open pcmanfm from terminal to root folder
   pcmanfm / &
The & allows you to do other things with the terminal while pcmanfm is running.  As stated before, once done unmount the partitions, continuing with the example used, again from terminal
  umount /mountpoint1
DO NOT be in too much of a hurry here!  Depending on the file sizes, number of operations, speed of drive it can take a long time to unmount due to writing what is in the buffer to the disk physically (I recentlly had a usd drive take 10 minutes to unmount)
Hope that's some help anyway...

Just managed to axtually test exfat that way - it dose work, but in addition to exfat-utils, you need exfat-fuse, the command to install that is:
  apt update
  apt install exfat-fuse
Also, again the partition manager will not work with it, BUT a exfat partition can be created from the gparted live command prompt once exfat-utils is installed (that is how I checked it out) For sort description
  mkexfatfs
You may also want to look at
  exfatlabel

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/tru … tfs.8.html

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/tru … bel.8.html