1 (edited by sergio.a.o.andrade 2018-10-04 17:47:52)

Topic: [SOLVED] Can't resize partition

Hi!
I have a dual boot machine with XP and Xubuntu.
XP has an exclusive disk for it.

For the Xubuntu installation, 4 primary partitions were created on a 37,25 GB HD:
. sdb1: fat16, "DellUtility", 31,35MB, diag
. sdb2: ntfs, 20.24 GB, boot
. sdb4: extended, 14.22 GB with 2 logical partitions:
sdb5: ext4, mounted on /, 12.23 GB
sdb6: linux-swap, 2 GB
. sdb3: fat32, "DellRestore"

I was trying to update Xubuntu 16.04 LTS to 18.04 LTS but there was not enough room on sdb5 for the installation

I resized the sdb2 boot partition to 1 GB. It was almost empty. sdb2 and sdb4 are contiguous.

I planned to resize the sdb4 primary partition and sdb5 logical partition with the 19.24 GB freed from sdb2 but I can't figure it out how to do it. GParted doesn't allow me to resize the sdb4 primary partition. I can't unmount it.

I hope someone can help me. Thank you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txin99grt2wx5 … d.png?dl=0

Re: [SOLVED] Can't resize partition

Generally the partition editing options are limited for file systems that are mounted.

I suggest you boot from live media containing GParted Live so that none of the disk partitions are mounted.  Then you will have access to all the features of GParted.

gedakc wrote:

Generally the partition editing options are limited for file systems that are mounted.

I suggest you boot from live media containing GParted Live so that none of the disk partitions are mounted.  Then you will have access to all the features of GParted.

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Ir worked perfectly. I downloaded GParted Live, burned a CD, resized the sdb4 primary partition, then resized sdb5 logical partition. Voilà! No problem with grub, booted ok. Thank you.