1 (edited by cdnhermit 2018-08-25 19:51:01)

Topic: My SSD is blank

Hello, I am new to Gparted, Liunux like applications. Following a Youtube video, I adventurously created a usb key to put GParted on it with Yumi.  My purpose was to really erase all information on the SSD. I wanted to join the 2 partitions (the recovery one with what is my C drive on my Samsung SSD 500 gig.  I succeeded to make only 1 partition and to put ntfs on it. It gives me 476gb (where is the rest).
Anyway, I restarted my pc and I have a pulsating underscore on a blank black screen. Nothing is working not even the GParted live usb. I did Ctrl + Alt + Del and put my windows 10 usb key and nothing is happening.

I opened a terminal and typed: "sudo parted /dev /sda unit s print". This game me the following: Warning: Unable to pend /dev read-write (Is a directory). /dev has been opened read-only.

I typed: sudo fdisk -l -u /dev /sda and I got the message: fdisk cannot open /dev:Is a directory.

What can I do?

Re: My SSD is blank

To delete the disk content, the easiest way is to make a new partition table. It overwrites the previous partition table's data. Then, you can build new partitions and format them as you like.

If this SSD was the only system disk in the computer, then there is no internal system disk in the computer, so there is no operating system to boot. You have to use an external bootable medium to boot (cd/dvd or USB stick). You have to follow your computer's method to boot from external media.

I opened a terminal and typed: "sudo parted /dev /sda unit s print". This game me the following: Warning: Unable to pend /dev read-write (Is a directory). /dev has been opened read-only.

I typed: sudo fdisk -l -u /dev /sda and I got the message: fdisk cannot open /dev:Is a directory.

Please be careful:
/dev/sda doesn't contain any space (not /dev /sda).
The commands you typed try to use /dev as argument. However /dev isn't a disk device, it is just a directory in the system tree. To designate a disk device you need the entire /dev/sda, without space.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***