Topic: Gparted constantly expanding size beyond physical size

GParted 0.25.0 on Ubuntu 16.04

Media: various USB thumb drives but generally at least 14 gigabytes.

Errors:

Constantly getting the "The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is 512 bytes." once the drive is formatted.

If i wipe the drive using:  sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX bs=1k count=2048 and load in gparted there are no errors but after burning with:

"sudo dd bs=4M if=/path/to/input.iso of=/dev.sdb" then open in gparted I see an additional 56 gigabytes and the message "The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is 512 bytes."

Please advise what output you would need to troubleshoot.

I might add this doesn't seem to be unique to gparted: if I use etcher i get the same results: an additional 56 gigabytes added to a 14 gigabyte drive as well as once the writing has been done, the same message on opening gparted that "The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is 512 bytes."

Thanks for any assistance.

Re: Gparted constantly expanding size beyond physical size

You can try to update to the latest stable GParted version (0.31.0) or use the latest GParted live on cdr or flash usb (actually 0.31.0-1). The GParted site (https://gparted.org/livecd.php) contains instructions on making a live cd or usb stick.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***