Topic: Some clearifications when working on NTFS pls

Hello Guys

Situation:
I have a Windows XP installation (little bit completely crashed atm ***ms-stuff***) and I would like an Xubuntu installation on top of it =  Dual Boot.  But as far as I knows Xubuntu doesn't supports NTFS for its boot disc. So I need to resize my second partition (200GB, no OS-install) to shrink and to make a partition with the apropriate filesystem.  I have done defragmentation just before XP had gone to semi-coma.  The Partition I want to resize is very good defragmented

Software:
Live RescueCD - Xorg.com & GParted 0.3.4
Hardware:
AMD Athlon64 X2
MSI K8N Neo4-f
WDC WD2500KS-00MJB0

Questions:
a)  In GParted I can see the 2 Partitions, The places where the partitions a colored yellow, is that a correct representation of the fysical position of the data?
b)  Is the representation in the windows defragmentation program correct? (Maybe You dont know this but I wonder)

2. When I do shrink this Partition and data drops out of the ranges I selected, what happens with it? Is this data rendered corrupt or is it replaced so it is situated within the correct boundery's?

Thanks CommCody

Re: Some clearifications when working on NTFS pls

1. a ) no, it is not a correct phisical position of the data . It's just based on the percentage
    b ) yes , in the windows defragmentation program the representation is correct

2. When you shrink a partition and the data drops out of the new range when the partitioning will take place that data will be moved inside the new range. Shortly , you won't loose any data. No corruption.

You're welcome smile