1 (edited by makh 2017-08-24 18:42:52)

Topic: Resizing Fat32 flash drive made it unreadable by win7

Hi

I reduced the size by 5gb.

Created a 5gb Ext2 partition.

In windows 7, I had to reformat the Fat32 partition so it could be mount by windows.

Did I made some mistake in resizing?

Re: Resizing Fat32 flash drive made it unreadable by win7

Most likely you encountered the following bug in the libparted library used by GParted.

Bug 759916 - fat(32) resizing generates boot sector(s) with invalid jump instruction and pseudo-random boot code

The bug report lists a work-around to make the file system recognizable by Windows.

To avoid the bug in the future we highly recommend using GParted by booting from media containing the latest Gparted Live which contains up-to-date patches for GParted and the many libraries and file system tools used by GParted.

Re: Resizing Fat32 flash drive made it unreadable by win7

gedakc wrote:

Most likely you encountered the following bug in the libparted library used by GParted.

Bug 759916 - fat(32) resizing generates boot sector(s) with invalid jump instruction and pseudo-random boot code

The bug report lists a work-around to make the file system recognizable by Windows.

To avoid the bug in the future we highly recommend using GParted by booting from media containing the latest Gparted Live which contains up-to-date patches for GParted and the many libraries and file system tools used by GParted.

Good to know if its being worked on.

Thankyou