Topic: did i do something wrong ???

iwant to free 250 mb at the beginning of a roughly 1 terrabyte partition...

it says 16 hours..

that cannot be real...

what did i do wrong ?

couldnt find anything with google or in the docs.

i feel so stupid, sorry

https://img3.picload.org/image/rwowdrgr/screenshot_2017-08-14_15-30-13.png

Re: did i do something wrong ???

Moving the *start* of a big partition can be quite long because the entire filesystem has to be moved.
Changing the *end* of the partition is much faster.

Stopping a "resize" or "move" operation can be dangerous for the data integrity.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

3 (edited by nicoandmomo 2017-08-15 01:15:40)

i don't really know enough about filesystems but i image the starting sectors worth of 250 MB could just be _moved_ to the end of the partition into free space and the journal / inode table or whatever could be updated and the job would be done in 5 minutes.

im sure there must be a way and I hope that some developer will find it and make it real !

(any existing file is important, else it could be deleted, if i could backup the whole disk i would not need to move partitions)

nicoandmomo wrote:

im sure there must be a way and I hope that some developer will find it and make it real !

Currently I am not aware of this capability being provided in the e2fsprogs package.  If you do discover that such a capability exists then please let us know and we will consider implementing it.

With GParted we rely on external libraries and tools to provide each file system's capabilities.