Topic: Invalid File system for this mount point

Hello,

I am completely new to linux and am trying to use the gparted bundled with ubuntu to install.  This will be a dual boot with XP and I have the following partitions I am trying to set

/dev/hda1 fat16   
/dev/hda2 ntfs (both of these are pre-existing from xp)

/dev/hda3 fat32   15Gb

/dev/hda4 is the extended part

hda5 is /swap      fat32  3GB
hda6 is /tmp        fat32  10GB
hda7 is /var         fat32  10GB
hda8 is /home       *invalid* 15GB
hda9 is /shared     ntfs     90GB

when it gets to the hda8 it stops and gives me "Invalid file system for this mount point"

I have tried fat32 and ext3 for hda8 and the error is the same each time.  Any help you can give sorting this out would be great.

Re: Invalid File system for this mount point

Goat wrote:

when it gets to the hda8 it stops and gives me "Invalid file system for this mount point"
I have tried fat32 and ext3 for hda8 and the error is the same each time.  Any help you can give sorting this out would be great.

What do you exacly mean by "when it gets", and by "i have tried" ? What did you try to do : formating ? The problem comes with ubuntu or gparted ???

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

This sounds indeed like an ubuntu error and not like a gparted issue. That errormessage is for sure not from gparted.

You could try to partition your harddisk from the gparted livecd and then run ubuntus installer again. Then you can skip the partitioning part.

primary Master Device - /dev/hda
primary Slave Device - /dev/hdb
secondary Master Device - /dev/hdc
secondary Slave Device - /dev/hdd

And for your partition:
/dev/hda8 /home/hda8 vfat umask=0,codepage=1251 0 0