Topic: Old error message on Gparted startup

The error is old as this world. After Gparted 0.28.1 loads in OS ALT Linux I see next error message: "Libparted Bug Found! Could not stat device /dev/mapper No RAID disks - No such file or directory" (libparted 3.2). This incident is a vivid example of a situation when the mistake of only one programmer can torture the lives of millions of ordinary users for decades, but I still hope that the best minds of Gparted developers will help me to shout down this application. I believe that for a long time of the existence of this problem there was a way to solve it. Thankful in advance to anyone for an answer.

Re: Old error message on Gparted startup

Do you see this same error using the latest GParted Live image?

If not, then perhaps you might investigate to see if there are any missing packages on the OS ALT Linux install.

The error message is from the libparted library used by GParted.  It is possible that the bug has already been fixed by the upstream Parted developers, but perhaps has not been included in the OS ALT Linux distro packages.

3 (edited by vadval15 2017-08-07 15:10:41)

Thank you for the answer. I think you are right because the latest GParted Live works without errors, but I hoped that this error can be corrected by hand, and now I understand that it is impossible, since it is more serious than I had expected earlier.

If you do not have any RAID setup on your computer system then it is possible that there are left-over RAID signatures on at least one of the drives.  You might investigate removing RAID signatures to see if that would clear up the error message on your GNU/Linux installation.

5 (edited by vadval15 2017-08-08 09:38:52)

Thanks for the answer, but I do not quite understand where RAID signatures on my single drive could come from and how to verify their availability.

I suggest you search the Internet with terms like "erase raid signature linux" which should list a number of ways to view and erase RAID signatures.

Thank you for your help. I have good news: the developers of OS ALT Linux have already fixed the bug, and now GParted works without problems.

Thanks for reporting back that the issue is now solved.

To help others searching for answers to similar questions you can edit your initial post to prefix "SOLVED" in front of the title.