1 (edited by mfleetwo 2017-01-11 17:08:56)

Topic: Help resizing partitions in a dual boot XP/Ubuntu 16.04 system

I initially created a dual boot XP/Ubuntu configuration on a 60GB harddrive where 40GB was allocated to the XP operating system and 20GB was allocated to Ubuntu.
I imaged the drive using Clonezilla and have restored the image to a 120GB harddrive.
From Gparted (running within Ubuntu) a screen capture shows the current situation. http://i1383.photobucket.com/albums/ah314/gorgon007/Screenshot%20from%202017-01-09%2021-14-26_zpswh6pf5ah.png
From the unallocated space available I need to increase the NTFS partition by 40GB with the balance to be applied to the Ubuntu installation.
I am also uncertain whether /dev/sda6 is properly configured as the swap file.
I am a newbie in Linux but well versed in Windows operating systems.
I am also new to this forum.
Any assistance to sort this out would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
PS - I hope my screen capture has been properly incorporated in this message. If not, advice on how to include images in posts to this forum would also be appreciated.

Edit:
Switched to using the direct URL for the picture from photobucket.com and corrected the BBCode so that it displays in the forum. (mfleetwo)

Re: Help resizing partitions in a dual boot XP/Ubuntu 16.04 system

Please see topic GParted forum > Meta > [solved] put screenshot into post? for details of how to add screen shots into posts.

Thanks for the quick response.

Opened File Manager, highlighted the image file I had saved in the Download folder and selected copy. I clicked the Img button and pasted the image name between the tags.

Can you advise whether my image is displaying?

An observation-I built a functioning Puppy Linux install on an 8GB USB stick. Their forum's method of image attachment is much more intuitive and user friendly.

Hope this helps, look forward to hearing back from someone on this reply.

To display image files in the forum posts you need to upload them to any public photo sharing server, e.g. photobucket etc. The forum server doesn't keep image files or other objects, for anti-spam and virus security reasons.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

5 (edited by nvmos007 2017-01-10 17:47:15)

Well, that was tedious. The link now appears in my original posting. It looks like one has to select this link, right click and select Open in New Tab to view the image.

Things that make you go hmmmmm...

Anyway, hope this image helps anyone willing to provide assistance.

Thanks

Since you cloned the drive, I assume that you have the original 60 GB drive to go back to in case anything goes wrong.  If this is not the case then be sure to make a good backup before proceeding.

From the screen shot it appears that the file system (swap?) in the sda6 logical partition is unrecognized.  To fix this you may reformat the partition as linux-swap, boot into Linux, then edit /etc/fstab to make the UUID of the sda6 partition match the new UUID.

To add space the the NTFS file system in the sda1 primary partition, the unallocated space must be immediately adjacent to the partition.

The steps to do this are:

1)  Boot from live media, such as GParted Live.  This is required so that the root partition is not in use.
1)  Move sda6 swap logical partition to the right
2)  Move sda5 ext4 logical partition to the right and apply these operations.
3)  Reboot into Linux.  You may need to restore the boot code.  See GParted FAQ.
4)  Shrink the left edge of sda2 extended partition to butt up against the start of the sda5 ext4 logical partition.
5)  Grow the sda1 ntfs partition into the unallocated space.

For an example of moving space inside and outside of an extended partition see Moving Space Between Partitions.

Booted to gparted live CD.
Formatted dev/sda6 as Linux Swap.
Was then able to move unallocated space to allow resizing of  NTFS and Linux partitions.
All works well now and was able to successfully image this configuration using Clonezilla.
Thanks for the assistance.

Thanks for reporting back with how you achieved your goal.  You can help other searching for answers to similar questions by editing your initial post and prefixing "SOLVED" in front of the title.