1 (edited by calvinsmith99993 2016-09-14 22:53:21)

Topic: Two major problems i've had with gparted

The live boot image of gparted doesn't work at all, it gets to a menu screen and I cannot select any options with Enter, nor navigate with the arrows. Also, if i use it from ubuntu live cd, I cannot make my ubuntu partition larger despite the fact I created unallocated space with windows disk manager.

Thanks for the response

Re: Two major problems i've had with gparted

Are you using the latest version of GParted Live (currently 0.26.1-5)?

Have you investigated the Tips on Booting GParted Live.

Is the unallocated space immediately adjacent to the ubuntu partition?
See all the tips in the GParted Manual - Resizing a partition.

well that makes sense, the space is not adjacent to the partition. I guess the only way to change the partition this way is to format the whole hard drive then?

calvinsmith99993 wrote:

well that makes sense, the space is not adjacent to the partition. I guess the only way to change the partition this way is to format the whole hard drive then?

You can rearrange the unallocated space to the right place by resizing/moving the various disk partitions. You can use GParted from the GParted Live CD/USB or the Ubuntu live CD/DVD or other live media that contain it. Be sure the partitions aren't mounted, and take backup before proceeding. This manner you can avoid to everything re-install.
smile

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***