Topic: Cannot shrink a ext4 partition from Parted Magic

Hello everyone! smile
I apologize for posting here if its not the place I should post at, but I was confused so I used the GParted sub-forum instead of the Live Media sub-forum since Parted Magic contains different tools but GParted is a separate program so...

I was using Parted Magic because my Fedora installation won't let me resize its home partition while its mounted (and I cannot unmount it). I wanted to shrink my fedora home partition by 5 GB, but an error occurred during this process, I have looked at the log but I am not sure what it means...

Here is the HTML Source Code of the log file: https://ghostbin.com/paste/a9bvp (Copy the text and paste it in a blank text file and change its extension to .html and open the file in your browser)

Thanks in Advance! big_smile

Re: Cannot shrink a ext4 partition from Parted Magic

From the gparted_details.htm log file the relevant details are as follows:

shrink file system  00:00:01    ( ERROR )

resize2fs -p /dev/sda6 36700160K  00:00:01    ( ERROR )

Resizing the filesystem on /dev/sda6 to 9175040 (4k) blocks.
Begin pass 3 (max = 320)
Scanning inode table XXXXXXXX--------------------------------
resize2fs 1.43 (17-May-2016)

It looks like you might have discovered a bug in the e2fsprogs package which contains the tools to work with ext2/3/4 file systems.  You might try the latest GParted Live which contains a newer e2fsprogs v1.43.1 package.  If this also fails then you might raise the issue upstream with the e2fsprogs maintainers.

Ok, I will test it with the latest GParted Live Disc smile

I have just tested and its the same in the latest version of GParted live too sad

Unfortunately, I was not able to get the html log this time, it was too hard to mount my NTFS partition in GParted live... I am not good with the mount command tongue

Since the newer version of GParted Live with e2fsprogs 1.43.1 also failed, you might raise the issue upstream with the e2fsprogs maintainers.  For example Debian Bug report logs: Bugs in package e2fsprogs (version 1.43.1-1) in unstable.

gedakc wrote:

Since the newer version of GParted Live with e2fsprogs 1.43.1 also failed, you might raise the issue upstream with the e2fsprogs maintainers.

I don't know a lot about the bug, so why don't you try reporting it gedakc?

TheDcoder wrote:

I don't know a lot about the bug, so why don't you try reporting it gedakc?

The bug doesn't occur for me.

The e2fsprogs maintainers will likely need you to capture some data for them to investigate the issue.  Hence it is best if you work with them directly on the problem you encountered resizing your file system.