1 (edited by philesaid 2007-04-22 09:57:30)

Topic: FIXED--- Ive resized partition and cant get past windows logo boot....

**Hi for anyone whom has come to see this page, I have found out how to fix this. By reusing basically the original setup Disks... for XP, i use the repair option which lead me into DOS mode, then i chose, fixboot. For vista, i did a new install on the same partition, then cista told me that my old previous files will be within a new folder it will create for me** (And yes, I have used Magic Partition afterwards which was alot easier... I should have did from the start to save me time and trouble)

I currently am running to 300gb internal HDs. Each with its own OS, 32bit XP pro and Vista home premium.

(MOBO: EVGA 680i A1 P27
CPU: Intel E6600(2.4)@3.33
Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
Drives: 2x Segate SATA2 300gb (dual boot XPproSP2+VISTA home Premium)
Display: 24" Dell LCD widescreen (2407)
RAM: Patriot(PDC24G6400ELK) 4GB (2x2GB) pc2-6400 800mhz
GPU: BFG 8800GTS 320mb
PSU: Thermaltake 650watt (Specialty Cable Management Technology)
Case: Antec Nine Hundred)

k with that ou tof the way... anyhow, not sure if you need a story or not, if not skip to the next paragraph. Since I have already 2 OSs I am still considering a 3rd OS, x64 XP pro. With that in mind I recently wanted to have a partition created because I hear that its best to load an OS on a clean HD, in which I figure that creating a new partition would act as one, correct? Plus since I am considering to create that partition for the new OS I was also thinking of creating maybe another 1 or two more while I am at it, for file storage and such (trying to be more organized).

Okay, so Ive downloaded "live CD" burned it successfully and booted up to create my partition (oh btw I was thinking of using Partition Magic before this program, wonder if it would have just worked for me instead) and I went through all the automatic settings. Then when I came to the screen to modify my HDs.
   -1st HD (XP) I resized it, giving myself a 2nd partition of 40gb, it turned into ext3 file as an automatic feature I       suppose then I accept and the program did its thing to set the partition.
   -2nd HD (vista) I resized it and made 2 other partitions of 40gb and i believe it came out to becoming ext3 partitions too, so accept and again it did its thing.

then I reboot. I go through the normal order of booting, windows logo shows up for like 1-2secs then BAM DMN blue screen! and then my PC restarts, without leaving enough time for me to see what was on the blue screen.

-from there I figure I go back and turn everything back to where it was. I removed the ext3 partitions from both HDs, and left only the OSs' original partitions remaining then I reboot. Same thing! blue screen! >_<

-then I go back and tried creating the same same partitions as I did earlier 40gb in XP HD, and 2 40gbs on the Vista HD but this time I had them as NTFS, since I figure my orginial OS partitions are too that it would  work, wrong. same thing happen again, blue screeen

-so finally i called a friend to get help, he suggest I create the partition and leave unallocated which I did, and reboot, blue screen. But this time I remember that when I tried to make new partitions that errors were showing up while Gparted was trying to resize.

(all this time I wanted to take snapshots of my errors but didint understand where I should save it, the directories that showed up, ive never seen before.)

UGh, not to threathen or sound so newb but I feel like I want to give up. Plus Im thinking about either trying partition Magic? would it be the same errors? or would I make it worse.  OOORR is there just a program to redo my boot manager??? Someone help. Im confused.