1 (edited by Jorus 2016-04-15 15:40:53)

Topic: Reboot and select proper boot device... Please help

Hi guys,

After i installed a new cpu fan i received the message: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.
Someone advised me to use GParted for this. So i did and run testdisk. Now in the Gparted screen i have this:

/dev/sda1 | Fat 32 | Size: 100.00 MiB | Used: 21,95MiB | Free: 78,06MiB | Flags: boot, esp

Unused | Unused | Size: 128.00 MiB | Used: ---- | Free: ----

/dev/sda2 | NTFS | Size: 931.29 GiB | Used: 49.54 GiB | Free: 881.75 GiB | Flags: msftdata

I rebooted and still got the same message (Reboot and select proper boot device...)

Is there a way for me to boot windows again normally? I prefer not to reinstall windows 7 sad.

Please help, i'm a noob with Gparted lol.

Edit: I added some pictures, this result i get when i do "Quick Analyse"

http://imageshack.com/a/img922/7234/vPeewF.jpg

Re: Reboot and select proper boot device... Please help

Installing a new CPU fan should not have caused Windows to fail to boot.

With that being said, you can use Windows media installation disks to restore the ability to boot (without having to do a full Windows install).  To get started, take a look at FAQ - After resizing my Windows 7 or Vista partition, my computer won't boot. How can I fix this?

3 (edited by Jorus 2016-04-15 19:06:17)

gedakc wrote:

Installing a new CPU fan should not have caused Windows to fail to boot.

With that being said, you can use Windows media installation disks to restore the ability to boot (without having to do a full Windows install).  To get started, take a look at FAQ - After resizing my Windows 7 or Vista partition, my computer won't boot. How can I fix this?

Do i keep all my data, if i do it this way?

And is this the thing you mean: Using GParted to Resize Your Windows 7 or Vista Partition?

I see 2 partitions: One is 100MiB (FAT32) and the other one is 931.29GiB (NTFS). Which one should i use.

Problem solved. I resized my boot partition with Gparted, rebooted en booted from the windows 7 install disc. Choose repair boot problems, et voila. Thanks all!

'Glad to hear you were able to resolve the problem.  Resizing the partitions should not have been required.  The key was to boot from Windows media and restore the ability to boot.  I included the link because I thought it would help clarify how to restore boot.

To help others searching for answers to similar questions, you can edit the initial post and prefix "SOLVED" in front of the title.