Topic: how to get windows to see new extended>logical drives?

I have a pair of 400GB drives in a RAID1, I have installed Windows Vista into a Primary partition of 80GB; the rest of the drive is unallocated. I wanted to create an extended partition with the remaining space, and into it have two logical drives.

I used GParted to create the extended partition, and the two logical partitions (although it refused to format them as ntfs, so I left them unformatted, I would think that is fine...)

When I return to Vista, it still says the space is "unallocated".

(Vista's stupid partition tool won't create an extended partition until four primarys have been made, so I was looking for a way to do what I wanted).

When I return to GParted, it shows me the two logical partitions. Am I doing something wrong, or am I missing a step? I am wondering why Vista does not see the extended and logical partitions

Re: how to get windows to see new extended>logical drives?

If you can wait a bit, I will make a test here. I have no RAID but may try to see what Vista does when GParted creates logical partitions....
BTW : it is clear we (and specillay I) don't know many things about vista (or yes, the only thing that becomes well known is that users come back to XP :-p, but this is another story).

So come back in some days, please, so I have the time to make test here.
thx

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Thanks Larry.
Yeah I am one of those unhappy Vista people too, my brand new ATI All-In-Wonder X1900 video card for this brand-new (built it myself) PC has no Vista driver either, and slim-to-none hope of getting one since Vista seems to block their idiotic service-based viideo-capture/TV software, and their developer has since left the company... grrr.

I have just made the test, and all is oaky !
hard drive : 40 go
vista business US on half drive (about 20 go)
extended partition created by GParted : 20 go
Logical NTFS partition into extended one, created with GParted : 13 go
Free space about 7 go left

Vista see both extedned partition and logical one. No problem to access.

So don't understand what kinda problem you got.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Thanks, I appreciate your effort in trying to reproduce the issue. Don't know why my Vista doesn't see the new partitions. Maybe because it is a RAID1 array. Thanks anyway.

If your partition(s) are unformatted, I'm guessing Vista acts much like XP and refuses to acknowledge the partition with a drive letter.  In XP (and I'm sorry, I've happily never touched Vista), one must go to  Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management.

On the bottom right hand side of the screen, you'll see a display of the HD.  Play around in there to set the drive letter and format.

Hope this helps!