Topic: Grow partion without resizing filesystem

I asked this question a week ago under a different subject, and got no responses.  Perhaps my reference to NTFS scared people off.  I'm going to rephrase and try asking one more time, and promise to quit after that.

I need to extend a primary partition into the unused space above it.  I don't want to change the filesystem (at least not at this stage).  Can anybody recommend a tool that can do this?  I can hack the MBR with a hex editor if I have to, but I'm looking for something easier.

Re: Grow partion without resizing filesystem

Hi Jpm, i'm sorry but at this moment gparted will also resize the filesystem. May i ask why you want to do this?

Anyway, simply using fdisk or CLI parted will do the trick smile

Just use fdisk ! It will resize the partition but not the FS !
Look at the doc I put into the livecd about resizing Vista : there is an explanation on how to use fdisk to resize partition, since NTFSRESIZE just resize the FS. So you should find out what you wish.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

plors wrote:

May i ask why you want to do this?

The disk has a few bad sectors, so I need to resize the partition and filesystem separately.  See http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=575.

LarryT wrote:

Look at the doc I put into the livecd about resizing Vista

Doh!  I originally looked at fdisk, but it didn't have a resize command.  It didn't occur to me to delete the current partition and then create a new larger one.  That worked!  Thanks!

no problem wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)