1 (edited by raj_plays 2014-11-07 16:04:09)

Topic: [SOLVED] resize primary partition

Hi,
I have windows xp with C(boot),D,E,F and G drives.
I want to move some free space from G to C.
Is this possible?
I was able to free space from G but could not add that free space to C.

Please help.

Re: [SOLVED] resize primary partition

It seems that you have an extended partition. After resizing a logical partition in the extended, you have to resize the extended partition too before going further.
In general, you have to resize or move the partitions located between C and G.
A screenshot of the GParted screen always helps for accurate advise.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

class413 wrote:

It seems that you have an extended partition. After resizing a logical partition in the extended, you have to resize the extended partition too before going further.
In general, you have to resize or move the partitions located between C and G.
A screenshot of the GParted screen always helps for accurate advise.

Thank you.
Please see the screenshot and advice how I can add the free space at the end to C drive.

http://i.imgur.com/Ak3OYoT.gif

You have to move to the right the partitions containing G: , next F: , E:  and D:, then shrink the extended partition (green frame containing them) to leave the free space just after the first partition C:, and then you can grow C: .
Please, note that the extended partition doesn't appear in the windows list above. GParted screen shows it and gives its Linux name.
It is possible to schedule all these operations but it would be perhaps safer to go step by step. It is always recommended to have a trusty backup of your files before attempting such operations on the partitions.
Furthermore it is recommended to use the latest stable GParted Live cd/usb.

Please, provide the output of the command
sudo fdisk
from the GParted Live terminal window, for further info on the partition details.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Thank you.
I got the desired result.

Must add...this is one of the best forums in terms of detailed, timely and polite explanation.

'Glad to learn that you were able to resolve the issue.

To help others searching for answers to similar questions, you can edit the initial post and prefix "SOLVED" in front of the title.