Re: resize vista partition

I think gparted would be better.
BTW : are you able to contact me on IRC ?server : gimpnet and channel #gparted ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Dear Larry,

Using 'fdisk' (without writing the changes) I deleted /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda4. Would it be correct, that I have to create a new partition now , starting from 5808 (or 5809?) up to 19457 ?

thanks,
  jess

1) Sorry, I don't know how to use IRC server. (never used)

2) Partition /dev/sda4 (in my case, named as W95 Ext'd (LBA)) - should I create it again or I don't need it?

jess

I think it is best to let your fedora make this.
Anyway you may try to make a test using fdisk again
Never type "w" so you never perform any real change !
Try to create a new partition at the end of your drive, and see which is the value of the last cylinder. It must be 19457 !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

This is what I have right now:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot      Start             End      Blocks           Id    System
/dev/sda1                1                 4             32098+   de    Dell Utility
/dev/sda2                5                1310    10485760     7      NTFS
/dev/sda3      *       1310           5808     36134232     7      NTFS
/dev/sda4               5809         19457    109635592+  83    Linux

I didn't save a changes yet. Before that I have 2 doubts:

1) is it safe to write changes in that form?
2) I am worried a bit about partition which was labeled as W95 Ext'd (LBA). Is it possible that Vista needs it? and I will not be able to reboot?

thanks,
   jess

So it seems to be okay now.
Don't perform the change : i think Vista or FC should do it.. Just type "q" to quit", or hit "ctrl+c".
The W95 Ext'd is not a label. This is the type of extended partition. It would be a bit lng to explain you, but extended partition alwyas appears like this :
Look at my example, it was the same : sda2 is an extended partition = it contains partitions.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

You can the complete list of the "type" like this :
Create a new partition, then type "t", then type "L", and it wil list all the types...
Just quit and don't perform real things.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Larry,

I don't understand. Am I right, that I have to quit now from 'fdisk' (no changes, no save anything)? If yes, but why I deleted (virtually) /dev/sda5 and /dev/sda4 then and will not apply changes?

jess

oh, sorry smile
You are right.
Perform the deletion !
But don't create a new partition !
so maybe you 'd better quit, and then do it again but only up to deletion (so no creation). Okay ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I did it.
One funny thing - when I created the partition again using Fedora installation, somehow Fedora shows that the last cylinder is 19458 (not 19457 as defined by 'fdisk'). Is it normal?

jess

I don't think it is. but if it works ...

Larry
GParted-project Admin

37 (edited by LiteBright 2007-04-11 03:34:13)

I used gparted-livecd-0.3.4-5 to shrink a Vista Home Premium factory installation on a Toshiba notebook from 112 to 35Gb.  I didn't do anything other than select "shrink" and punch in 35Gb using the GPARTED graphical interface.  (I did not have to follow the instructions at the beginning of this post).

Machine rebooted twice in its "attempt to repair".  On the second reboot I waited patiently for 30-45 minutes.  Much to my surprise, it finally rebooted a third time and everything is operational! smile

Like I said somewhere, Vista makes weird things sometimes... and doesn't some other times :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin