Topic: How to swap partitions with no data loss

I loaded Ubuntu 13.10 on a laptop.  I want to load windows on a partition and have Linux on it's seperate jpartition.  I have tried to do this and not been successful. I have created two equal, about, partitionhs with Ubuntu running on the first one and XP on the second one, which is blank, formatted for ntfs.  The computer came with Vista and I would like to re-install that or my personal copy of XP on the one partition, but my understanding is that windows needs to be on the first partition ( as drive C:) so it will boot.  so perhaps you can help me with instructions for how to swap the partitions, hopefully with no data loss.  I have gone thru your forum but didn't find what I needed.  Thanks for your time.

John

Re: How to swap partitions with no data loss

For ease of installation, I recommend installing Windows first.  Next install GNU/Linux because it will recognize Windows and set up a boot menu so that you can choose from either operating system.

If you wish to do it the other way round, then I highly recommend researching "dual boot windows linux" on the Internet to learn the pros and cons of different set ups.

Re: How to swap partitions with no data loss

Thanks for the answer.  Yes, that will be easier, windows first.