1 (edited by DSUTRF 2014-04-15 16:01:54)

Topic: Partitioning scheme for Ubuntu

what would be optimal partitioning scheme for Ubuntu on an external SSD disk 30GB? (RAM 3GB) How to set partitions with Gparted?
I thought about this:

/boot             250MB,   ext2
swap              2GB
/ the rest of the disk,  ext4 

And applications and files can be inside Ubuntu directory itself.

Re: Partitioning scheme for Ubuntu

Your proposed partition layout sounds fine.  Often I will set the swap space to twice the amount of RAM, but that is just an old rule-of-thumb.  In the case of an SSD, it is often recommended to limit the writes.  There are many tutorials on the internet that contain suggestions on how to optimize the use of an SSD and to limit swap activity.

3 (edited by DSUTRF 2014-04-15 22:46:13)

gedakc wrote:

Your proposed partition layout sounds fine.  Often I will set the swap space to twice the amount of RAM, but that is just an old rule-of-thumb.  In the case of an SSD, it is often recommended to limit the writes.  There are many tutorials on the internet that contain suggestions on how to optimize the use of an SSD and to limit swap activity.

And storing applications inside Ubuntu partition will not cause any problems, its OK?
Should I first use GParted Live CD to create partitions, or I can use Ubuntu installer disk?

What is correct order and steps to create and mount the partitions in my example?

You can pre-create the partitions using GParted Live, or you can use the Ubuntu Installer to create the partitions.  The end result should be the same.  If you are unfamiliar with partitioning, then perhaps you might prefer using the default Ubuntu Installer settings.  These are usually fine.

5 (edited by DSUTRF 2014-04-17 00:43:19)

gedakc wrote:

You can pre-create the partitions using GParted Live, or you can use the Ubuntu Installer to create the partitions.  The end result should be the same.  If you are unfamiliar with partitioning, then perhaps you might prefer using the default Ubuntu Installer settings.  These are usually fine.

Does it make sense to put swap on the internal harddisk? How to make this?
Also, how to reserve 10 percent for unallocated space (for overprovisioning) when partitioning?

Personally, I did place swap on the internal SSD on my MythTV Personal Video Recorder.  I also left a portion of the SSD unallocated for "overprovisioning".  For details on what I did, see Migrating Existing MythTV 0.24 on HDD to MythTV 0.25 on SSD which also contains details on reducing the tendency to swap.

7 (edited by DSUTRF 2014-04-19 12:13:59)

Is it possible do not set Swap at all, does that make sense? In that case we don't need optimize writes to disk.

It is possible to run without swap space, but this does not obviate the desirability of minimizing writes to the SSD which occur even when a file is read (the access time stamp is updated).

There is also another school of thought.  Since prices for electronics continually drop (or for the same cost the amount of storage drastically increases), you might consider ignoring optimizing altogether.  This will save you time and effort now.  If it becomes an issue later on, then you could buy an even bigger SSD for similar or lower prices in the future.

I think there are many people that use SSDs with no minimization of writes exactly as if these were spinning hard drives.

For myself I choose to minimize writes to SSD.

9 (edited by DSUTRF 2014-04-20 01:27:35)

I will optimize, it's not so difficult, and it will be useful for learning Linux as well.  What swap partition size would be better to set, 2GB or 3GB?

The optimum size to set the swap partition really depends on what you intend to do with your computer.  For general taks, either size you listed should be fine.