Topic: 2 days to move/resize - new record?

I have a single 200GB WD SATA drive with a single primary partition for XP. I'm using GParted to shrink this and make another partition for Vista to live on. Heres the current process:

186.3GB NTFS --> 164.8GB NTFS

Now the problem is this has taken very very very long! The 'reading' stage took about 16 hours, and now its on the 'copying' stage which has run for 3 hours with 21 hours estimated remaining - so nearly 2 days in total!

My PC is pretty up to date - Core2duo E4300, 1GB DDR800, Gigabyte DS3

I'm running the latest Beta 0.3.4-6 (3rd April) as the LiveCD on the downloads section didnt work for me (No GParted LiveCD found!!! Kernel panic...)

From looking through the forums I see this sort of time is not normal. Im tempted to press cancel but don't want to loose data. I didnt expect this and its a bit annoying to not be able to use it for a couple of days!

Any insight/response to this would be appreciated!

Re: 2 days to move/resize - new record?

Yes, I personaly made tests, on usb devices and it took something like 35 hours !
But it failed.
Like I said many time, you*MUST* make a backup !
So, just cross fingers...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Yeh should have made a backup... fingers crossed indeed!

I'll let it run for the remainder and see what happens smile

...Testing the copy function I pouted out some days ago that there is a value beyond which it takes a VERY long time to move.
ATM I don't know why ...
The main dev and I need to find out if there is a workaround...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Well I can verify it took a long time, and failed after about 6 hours of copying. So after 24 hours from the start of the process it stopped. No error messages or nothing, just came back to my desk and there was an empty GParted desktop.

Afterwards the drive appeared as an empty 164GB drive. I used PC Inspector 4 to check for lost files and it found a whole drive full of files like "Cluster 1004346.EXE" - thousands of them. Thats about it really, just documenting what happened in case its any use.

Anyway I guess thats the data gone - we live and learn smile If anyone knows how to get the files back, I will worhsip thee!