Topic: SDA/SDB dont want to merge

I have a single SSD in my VAIO that i have formatted from the original Windows 8 install. When i enter Gparted there is two partitions, SDA and SDB and they both have a size of 119GB. I want a single partition, but am unable to merge the two unallocated spaces.

What can i do to make those two partitions into one logical space?

thank you in advance

Re: SDA/SDB dont want to merge

If you saw /dev/sda and /dev/sdb in GParted, then these are two separate storage devices.

If you saw /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 partitions on device /dev/sda, then this space could be edited to create a larger partition.

If you would like more help, would you be able to provide the output from the following two commands?

sudo fdisk -l -u

where one of the options is a lower case "L" and not the number one.

sudo parted /path-to-your-device unit s print

where /path-to-your-device is something like /dev/sda.

Since this post was made has there been a newer version of Gparted Live released that allows devices such as sda and sdb to be merged?

/dev/sda and /dev/sdb are two separate physical devices. We can't merge them in any manner, except perhaps by using LVM or RAID techniques, that aren't part of GParted.

In case of two partitions in the same device, you can backup content, delete one of the partitions, expand the remaining one and then restore the content of the deleted partition. In fact, it is better to backup both partitions so that the data are safe just in case. If the partitions aren't adjacent, you have to move/resize some of them to have the free space contiguous to the partition to expand.

GParted doesn't actually support any "automatic" partition merging.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***