1 (edited by nweissma 2012-02-13 04:53:52)

Topic: GParted on Solaris11

not being a developer, i may be asking a meaningless question .. Pray Thee Your Indulgence.

Solaris11 11/11 Live DVD (x86) - Solaris11 11/11 being the latest Solaris - uses GParted 0.4.5. as this has caused mayhem , i ask whether later versions of GParted, free of the serious bug (?), can be modified for Solaris?

Solaris may have incorporated a later version of GParted on its text install -- i don't know.

i tried using GParted 0.11.0-10 Live CD to repair GRUB, which was obliterated by 0.4.5 subsequent to resizing/moving an ntfs partition , but the 0.11.0-10's terminal-window gatekeeper stopped me dead,  demanding to know 0.11.0-10's terminal-window's password or else s/he will not allow me to adopt the role of 'root', which is sine qua non.  PRAY TELL: WHAT IS THE DAMN PASSWORD ?!!! am i supposed to know this ?! do you think that this strategy will be successful ? if not, then why not?

do you have a strategy to repair my decimated GRUB ?

also, i note that even the latest GParted does not operate on ZFS. this shocks the senses! how can i use GParted to partition Solaris11?

-- I AM NOT BEING ALLOWED TO POST THIS BECAUSE IT CONTAINS TOO MANY LINKS ("TOO MORE LINKS. ALLOWED 1 LINKS. REDUCE NUMBER OF LINKS AND POST AGAIN"). WHO IS DEVELOPING THESE DAMN CRAZY, IMPETUOUS RULES??!!! I HAVE REMOVED ALL THE LINKS -- ALL THE CROSS-REFERENCES THAT I SPENT AN HOUR ASSEMBLING -- NOW SEE WHETHER YOU CAN MAKE SENSE OUT OF IT!! JEEZ CHRIST!!!

Re: GParted on Solaris11

While I can sympathise with your frustration, it is generally not a good idea to curse and condemn the very people who might help you with this problem.

Now on to your problem.

nweissma wrote:

Solaris11 11/11 Live DVD (x86) - Solaris11 11/11 being the latest Solaris - uses GParted 0.4.5. as this has caused mayhem , i ask whether later versions of GParted, free of the serious bug (?), can be modified for Solaris?

Regarding Solaris, it would appear that the maintainers of the distribution have not kept up with recent releases.  You might try raising this issue with those who maintain Solaris packages.

nweissma wrote:

PRAY TELL: WHAT IS THE DAMN PASSWORD ?!!!

Under normal circumstances you should not be prompted for a password.  In the situations where a password is requested, it can be found in the GParted Live CD web page (hint:  user/live).

Note the the "sudo" command to acquire root privileges should not prompt for the password on GParted Live.

nweissma wrote:

do you have a strategy to repair my decimated GRUB ?

If you used Solaris to originally install GRUB, then in theory you should be able to use your Solaris boot CD to re-install GRUB.  You can see the GParted FAQ to learn why GRUB breaks when moving file systems and how to reinstall GRUB.

nweissma wrote:

also, i note that even the latest GParted does not operate on ZFS. this shocks the senses! how can i use GParted to partition Solaris11?

GParted is a free software project worked on by volunteers.  There has been a request for ZFS support, but so far no ZFS users have volunteered to develop this functionality.
Please add ZFS Support - Need it for Solaris, OpenSolaris and FreeBSD

nweissma wrote:

I AM NOT BEING ALLOWED TO POST THIS BECAUSE IT CONTAINS TOO MANY LINKS ("TOO MORE LINKS. ALLOWED 1 LINKS. REDUCE NUMBER OF LINKS AND POST AGAIN"). WHO IS DEVELOPING THESE DAMN CRAZY, IMPETUOUS RULES??!!! I HAVE REMOVED ALL THE LINKS -- ALL THE CROSS-REFERENCES THAT I SPENT AN HOUR ASSEMBLING -- NOW SEE WHETHER YOU CAN MAKE SENSE OUT OF IT!!

Unfortunately like many other forums we have had problems with SPAM.  So much so that it became difficult to see the legitimate requests for help amongst all the SPAM.  We regret this constraint, but feel that this is the best compromise we have currently found.

gedakc wrote:

Under normal circumstances you should not be prompted for a password. 

Note the the "sudo" command to acquire root privileges should not prompt for the password on GParted Live.

mine does. GParted 0.11.0-10 .iso

gedakc wrote:

If you used Solaris to originally install GRUB, then in theory you should be able to use your Solaris boot CD to re-install GRUB.  You can see the GParted FAQ to learn why GRUB breaks when moving file systems and how to reinstall GRUB.

still confused: the method that you are expounding appears to my noob eyes to be suited to linux -- can it be modified to fix my identical solaris GRUB boot problem?

nweissma wrote:

still confused: the method that you are expounding appears to my noob eyes to be suited to linux -- can it be modified to fix my identical solaris GRUB boot problem?

You are correct that the method to re-install GRUB was written with Linux in mind.  If Solaris is using GRUB then the method should be similar.  You might wish to check with a Solaris forum for Solaris specific details.