Topic: ERROR: Current NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size!

I've read almost all the postings on recovering from this error (which resulted from me using 0.4.6 to shrink an NTFS partition).

I'm keen to try and fix it myself (following the tutorial) but I may have to resort to posting my details and asking for help.

Can someone help me with answers to the following 2 questions?  Then I'll know whether to press on with self help or post all my details here.

1.  The tutorial is based on a single partition on the subject drive and shows how to amend the third column in the third row (00000020) in the pbr.  My problem partition is the second of three partitions on the subject drive. My magic (inverted) number is 3BF5E52D.  Should I be looking to put this in a different pbr location?

2.  Is there any way of saving the info from the commands "fdisk -l -u" and "parted /sdc unit s print" in order to post them here, or must I copy them by hand from the command window and re-enter them in a forum post?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: ERROR: Current NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size!

Mmmmmm ....... just been thinking further..... suppose it's sort of obvious

would I be right in thinking that the tutorial gives skip=63 for the first partition but that I need to put skip=882272136 for my second partition's  pbr (given that that's the sector that "..... unit s print" is pointing me to?

I think my problem is solved but after writing my new pbr the following error was displayed:

http://www.im2020.myzen.co.uk/Parted/Screenshot1.png

When rebooting, Windows 7 automatically ran chkdsk and tidied things up and my partition is now back under control.  Any thoughts on why this happened?  Will ponder for a while before flagging this thread as SOLVED.

im2020 wrote:

When rebooting, Windows 7 automatically ran chkdsk and tidied things up and my partition is now back under control.  Any thoughts on why this happened?

When an NTFS file system is resized, the file system is automatically flagged as dirty so that MS Windows will run a consistency check on the file system to ensure that all is well.