Topic: reiserfs shrink problem

Yesterday I attempted to shrink a large reiserfs partition and dug out my GPL (2.5.5) disk and set to work. The disk was hda1 and nearly all of it (38G) was dedicated to Kanotix 2006.  The remainder was an overly large swap partition (`1.8G).  Only 5.6G of hda1 was in use so it seemed reasonable to reduce it to 10G

The drive and its partitions were correctly identified as  reiserfs and linux swap. 

I entered the resize/move menu and started the shrink, specifying a new size of 10G.  After quite some time, I returned to the computer and the monitor had reverted to the GPL splash screen.  I had to reboot GPL and the results of the resize effort were (1) no new partition, and (2) hda1 now showed 34G "in use" and 4 G "free". 

The original system still functions.  Apparently nothing existing on the disk was borked but now all that 34G that got marked as used can't be utilized or managed. I know I could remove the existing partitions and start all over again but I was trying to put off replacing the old distro as long as possible...it's the wife's system and she likes it as it is.  Any suggestions?

Paul

Re: reiserfs shrink problem

I am sorry but i dont exactly understand which version you used ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)