1 (edited by gully300 2007-03-12 16:56:59)

Topic: [solved] Help Me Please

we are doin some stuff on linux at tafe and i though it "smart" to install it on my home computer using gparted i moved and shrunk my only partition from about 250 gb to 150gb all was good except it said it was moving it to the left, and now i cant boot my computer, all i'v done is move and shrink the partition i was just ment to shrink it, can anyone tell me how to get my computer back, i'm assuming i havn't done any major damamge and its just that the partition is screwed (aka its location) what do i do. the partition was created by xp (my operating system) and i havn't fiddled with it sinse then, so i'm hoping its just a matter of knowing where xp starts it partition to know where to set this 1 to start. *fingers crossed* i really need to know asap tho cos its got all my work and i'm MAJORLY flipping out at the moment.

Re: [solved] Help Me Please

in anticipation of u asking what version i used it was the latest 1, i have it open now and help, about, give me "GParted 0.3.3" i downloaded it 4 hours ago, well thats when i started anyway, bloody dialup

What you say is weird, because 0.3.3 was able to resize XP without any problem.
Anyway it is not a big deal to solve your problem since it comes from bootsector.

Are able to contact me on irc ?
but now i gonna sleep ...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

irc?
just some more information. when i try to boot xp professional it comes up

"disk read error occurred
Press Ctrl+ALt+Delto restart"

i have just tried resizing the partition to the whole hdd incase for some reason xp decided to store some system files at the end of the partition but it didnt' change it.

and i have had some troubles hybernating the computer recently 2, i dont know if its connected.

well , are you able to follow those steps : http://www.dominok.net/en/it/en.it.clon … l#modboots ?
I dnt even now if you have hexedit soft on your livecd sad

Larry
GParted-project Admin

i dont think it does have a hex editor, and that article doesn't make much sense to me but surpose i just used the windows xp disc and get it to recreate the mbr?

if i do end up needing to convert hex values can i just do it using windows calculator in scientific mode?

gully, if you've got an hexadeciaml set mode you can try.
Anyway to edit bootsector you need hexedit. But there is one version for win, so far i remember.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

i'm not sure what it is all i know that when i load of the win xp pro cd it says do u want to install or repair a windows instalation, and if u go repair it comes up witha list of commands 1 of them is fixmbr and the description says it fixes your mbr for u (duh) i have used it before and it does it automatically. thats all i know. should i find a program on the net for hex editing the boot sector or will the win cd do it?

PS i know some of what your talking about but not a whole lot i dont normally mess around with partitions or file systems

gully300 wrote:

i'm not sure what it is all i know that when i load of the win xp pro cd it says do u want to install or repair a windows instalation, and if u go repair it comes up witha list of commands 1 of them is fixmbr and the description says it fixes your mbr for u (duh) i have used it before and it does it automatically. thats all i know. should i find a program on the net for hex editing the boot sector or will the win cd do it?

PS i know some of what your talking about but not a whole lot i dont normally mess around with partitions or file systems

Yes i can guess this is not your usual cookin' smile
You may try to fix the problem with win cd, but i dont think the problem comes from the mbr. I think this should come from bootserctor that might have not been updated. But i dont understand why this could happen...
Hexedit can be found there,( i just googled) :
http://www-physics.mps.ohio-state.edu/~ … index.html

Larry
GParted-project Admin

surpose i was to install windows in the space i created when i screwed the partition up to install xp again THEN used http://www.mh-nexus.de/programs.htm#HxD to copy the hex data and uploaded a txt of it to the web with a link so u could have a look and tell me what i need to change. or email if thats more convenient i dont know what suits u best.

Gully, what we need to do is to meet on IRC gimpnet channel #gparted.
Then we can speak together.
Try to download a livecd with hexedit into it (sysrecuecd has it into it). Then boot off this livecd.
From another computer contact me on irc and we will see all together, then.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

it'll take me a fair while to get live cd get back to u when i have it, in the mean time what is the irc server i need to connect to?

gimpnet
channel #gparted

like i said above smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

14 (edited by gully300 2007-02-26 06:45:58)

ok i now have a working G-Parted LiveCD and mIRC and found the server irc.gimp.net. WOHOO. waiting on gparted.

ok i have given up and gone and bought a new hdd and just installed on there and copied the data of, in due credit to your program there was no data damage at all, i was infact able to by moving the partitino to the right 50 bg able to install windows there, but in my fiddling to try and install windows to a primary partition (it didn't like partitions i made) if would only formate an extended partition and install to that, after that the hdd developed and error that screwed the windows boot files in some way or another every time, that was when i called quites mustered my money and bought the 2'nd hdd. thanks for the help, best of luck to the next person, PS i still intend to try your program cos i think it was due to operator error that all that came about.