1 (edited by jm1 2007-02-22 06:16:51)

Topic: Resizing an Existing Partition for Linux Install w/ Windows Vista

Yesterday, in an attempt to resize my C: partition to make room for a Linux install I hosed my computer almost beyond repair (couldn't even load the reinstall disk). I used the latest version of Gparted which is supposed to work with Vista, but it still trashed the partition. For whatever reason, Vista doesn't play nice with GParted, or vice versa.  But there is a solution- don't use GParted in the first place! If you have Vista, then you already have a tool to resize your partition! Disk Management under Vista allows you to shrink and grow your partitions:
Start-Administrative Tools (*if you have this menu enabled)->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management
Right click on the partition you want to shrink, and go from there.
Any further partitioning tasks can be done with GParted, just leave your Vista partition alone.

For the time being, don't use GParted with Vista!!!! Not knowing this ahead of time cost me a total reformat and reinstall, and many hours of grief. Hopefully this will climb towards the top of Google's page rank and save some people from what I, and other posters to this forum, had to go through.

Re: Resizing an Existing Partition for Linux Install w/ Windows Vista

You're wrong ! guy : http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=431

BTW, please if you like to support win$ go to their forum.
thank you !

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

wrong twice : http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtop … 13&p=3

wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I saw your first post, this part sort of turned me off from trying it, quote:
***************WARNING******************
I CANT BE RESPONSIBLE OF ANY DESASTER YOU GOT.
SINCE I HAVE NO VISTA, I DIDNT MAKE ANY TEST FOR THE FOLLOWING !!!!!!!!!!!!
/quote.

The second thread you posted would be the first time out of many that someone successfully resized their Vista partition without trashing it. I could post those for you as well, you've already seen them.

I'm not saying that vista's partition tool is better than yours. GParted and the tools that come along with it offer much more power than Vista's disk manager does. However, if you're going to shrink a partition, why take the risk until there is a release of GParted that easily and dependably resizes vista partitions? Right now the failure rate is about 10:1 with GParted. Why not use the right tool for the job? If you've got Vista, it's *gasp* free, and it's tailor-made for the OS.
You need to dislodge whatever it is from your nether-regions that causes you to get uppity everytime Windows in mentioned. It does have its uses... just ask the millions of happy desktop users wink

jm1 wrote:

I saw your first post, this part sort of turned me off from trying it, quote:
***************WARNING******************
I CANT BE RESPONSIBLE OF ANY DESASTER YOU GOT.
SINCE I HAVE NO VISTA, I DIDNT MAKE ANY TEST FOR THE FOLLOWING !!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes i am honest. DOnt want to make believe anything wrong !
Excuse-me for this !

The second thread you posted would be the first time out of many that someone successfully resized their Vista partition without trashing it. I could post those for you as well, you've already seen them.

Do you know what a test is ?
Since i have no vsita i cant make test. But i need guys that make tests and report how it works.

I'm not saying that vista's partition tool is better than yours. GParted and the tools that come along with it offer much more power than Vista's disk manager does. However, if you're going to shrink a partition, why take the risk until there is a release of GParted that easily and dependably resizes vista partitions? Right now the failure rate is about 10:1 with GParted. Why not use the right tool for the job? If you've got Vista, it's *gasp* free, and it's tailor-made for the OS.
You need to dislodge whatever it is from your nether-regions that causes you to get uppity everytime Windows in mentioned. It does have its uses... just ask the millions of happy desktop users wink

- Do you think it is kind to say "don't use GParted in the first place!" ?
- I think it would be better to say : "gparted-livecd-versionxxxx doesnt work", and report me a warning about that point ! And add that there is a build-in tool.
Nevertheless, i figure out that this is not my work to work for windows wink

So, you say wista has a built-in tool to resize partition ? Tell me why they dont mention it to its users !!!!!!!!!!!!! This is just incredible !
Is it "that" windows ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

Do you think it is kind to say "don't use GParted in the first place!" ?
- I think it would be better to say : "gparted-livecd-versionxxxx doesnt work", and report me a warning about that point ! And add that there is a build-in tool.

I dont think it's unkind, considering the context. As I said, users shouldn't use GParted to resize their Vista partition. To be more specific, liveCD v0.3.3-5- ntfsresize 1.13.1.1 did not successfully resize my partition and allow me to still boot Vista. Ntfsfix (forget the version, same liveCD as mentioned before) did not successfully fix the partition either.
Otherwise, as I reiterate, Gparted is a great tool, and I'm sure that eventually it will work flawlessly and effortlessly on a partition with Vista installed. Currently it's much too finicky, and the average user shouldn't use it to resize their Vista partition! If you can find testers who can do this and have nothing to lose but time, that's perfectly fine, but don't encourage people to try it without a better forewarning.

LarryT wrote:

So, you say wista has a built-in tool to resize partition ? Tell me why they dont mention it to its users !!!!!!!!!!!!! This is just incredible !
Is it "that" windows ?

99% of users have no reason to repartition their drive, so why would they advertise it? And they do mention it- it's documented in the help files as well as anything else.

Let me say this a third time, GParted=great tool. Currently not the best choice for resizing a vista partition. There you go.
This isn't a pissing contest. I'm just trying to save people from a little hell smile

To be more specific, liveCD v0.3.3-5- ntfsresize 1.13.1.1 did not successfully resize my partition and allow me to still boot Vista

this closes the thread i think.

thx for reporting.

Larry
GParted-project Admin