1 (edited by icfire 2009-11-09 14:46:48)

Topic: [SOLVED] error -- Current NTFS volume size is bigger than device size

I've read a few similar issues, but it seems resolutions are unique - hence the new post..please forgive some of my stupidity - evidently, i only know enough to get myself into trouble and not out of it.

I'm running XP, and am trying to make room (new partition) on the same hdd for win7. I used GParted Live (0.4.7-1) to resize the primary partition from the whole drive (~149gb) to about 125gb, which completed successfully. I decided I wanted to make the primary partition smaller than 125gb, so I attempted to undo the initial resize and do a second resize to the original 149gb. I stupidly didn't check the pending actions, and set it to run before heading to bed. Instead of just the single resize, it first moved the ~23gb from after the primary partition to in front of it. The second action then resized and seemed to complete successfully. I rebooted into GParted, and saw an issue with the drive -  something about an NTFS issue and that it couldn't access the folders (no pic or log file of this).

I didn't realize testdisk was included with GParted Live, so I booted up with Ulitmate BootCD. By the time it loaded, everything looked ok - no issues with the drive, I could browse the data via testdisk, etc..Thinking everything was somehow fixed, I rebooted into GParted to make that second partition. The original issue no longer showed up in GParted, so I went to resize the primary partition, this time, and using GParted's estimate of free space on the drive, I resized to ~51gb thinking this gave some room for the existing XP install, which appeared to take about 35gb of the primary partition. This would have left about 97gb of unallocated space for the eventual new partition.

The action said it completed successfully, but then I started seeing an issue in GParted on the primary partition - the 'volume size is bigger than device size' issue. XP doesn't boot - I get the splash screen and then a quick BSOD before a restart. Using testdisk in GParted Live, i can still navigate through the data - I'm assuming/hoping all my mucking around just messed up the MBR/PBR data and can be fixed similar to the other posts I've read through.

I've captured a couple screenshots of the error and have included the MBR for the drive - please let me know if there's any other info needed. Sorry for the lengthy explanation above - I just wanted to give a thorough background...

Files are here -> http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5be6 … c19e6628dc

Re: [SOLVED] error -- Current NTFS volume size is bigger than device size

Same issue here.  First time using gparted.  HP laptop - Windows XP SP3 - 150gb hard drive.  Tried to shrink into 2 partitions, 100gb for C and a 50gb for second.  I was following the steps in the "resize-windows.txt" that is part of gparted FAQ and started by deleting the registry key.  I ran gparted live and selected the drive /dev/sda1, which is listed as the 149.5GIB NTFS partition.  I did the resize by entering the value of 51200 into the "space following" and then applied.  It went really fast and said successful.  I exited and rebooted only to get the BSOD "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME".

When I look at the partition in gparted now it says the same thing, "Current NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size!"  Cant get past this.

Any luck on solving this issue?

DC wrote:

Same issue here.  First time using gparted.  HP laptop - Windows XP SP3 - 150gb hard drive.  Tried to shrink into 2 partitions, 100gb for C and a 50gb for second.  I was following the steps in the "resize-windows.txt" that is part of gparted FAQ and started by deleting the registry key.  I ran gparted live and selected the drive /dev/sda1, which is listed as the 149.5GIB NTFS partition.  I did the resize by entering the value of 51200 into the "space following" and then applied.  It went really fast and said successful.  I exited and rebooted only to get the BSOD "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME".

When I look at the partition in gparted now it says the same thing, "Current NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size!"  Cant get past this.

Any luck on solving this issue?

no luck yet - i've stopped messing with it until i (hopefully) get some expert advice from here. I'm pretty confident it's still salvageable, and I don't want to do something to change that..

icfire,
Cmdr is usually very good at solving these problems though I recall in a previous post that cmdr is very busy at the moment.

Your data should still be on the drive.  I will look into how cmdr has addressed these problems in the past before coming back here with advice.

In the mean time it is advisable to make a backup of your data to ensure you do not lose anything important.

DC,
It would be useful if you create a new post so that your problem can be tracked separately.

DC and icfire,
Would you be able to provide the output from the following two commands?

fdisk -l -u

where on of the options is a lower case "L" and not a one.

parted /path-to-your-device unit s print

where /path-to-your-device is something like /dev/sda.

Also when resizing did you have the "round to cylinders" checkbox enabled (a checkmark) or disabled (an empty box)?

5 (edited by icfire 2009-11-06 20:39:06)

gedakc,

I'm happy to wait in line until cmdr has some free time...In the meantime, thanks for your help - much appreciated..

I ran the two commands you requested - link to jpegs is here ->  http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5be6 … c19e6628dc

The drive in question is sdc - the other two drives (sda, sdb) are just media drives (sdb shows as a boot drive b/c a previous dual boot win7 install decided to use that drive instead of the drive it was installed on - sda)...probably more info than you needed..

To answer your other question, I left the 'round to cylinders' checkbox alone in all my mucking around - the default was always enabled.

Thanks again for the help

icfire,

The sdc.mbr file shows 1 primary partition starting at sector 63, with a length of 107,780,022 sectors, with ending at sector 107,780,084.  This means the partition table is showing a size of ~51 GiB.  No other partitions are shown.  This is as we expect after the series of actions you took.  :-)

Next I will need a copy of the NTFS Partition Boot Record.  You can capture this in a file with the following command:

NOTE:  Be extra careful to type this command in properly, otherwise loss of data could result.

dd if=/dev/sdc of=sdc1.pbr bs=512 count=1 skip=63

where sdc1.pbr is the name of the file that will need to be uploaded so that I can examine it.

sdc1.pbr is uploaded to mediafire - http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5be6 … c19e6628dc

thanks!

From sdc1.pbr, the NTFS Partition Boot Record thinks the volume size is 312,560,568 sectors which is about ~149 GiB.

It is not clear to me which is the correct value (Partition size of ~51 GiB or NTFS volume size of ~149 GiB).

Since you have not copied anything else onto this drive after this first partition, I think it would be safest to adjust the partition table to match the NTFS volume size.  At least it shouldn't hurt, and we can always restore the partition table to the previous value using the sdc.mbr file :-)

The change I have made to the file is from a length of 107,780,022 sectors:
000001C0   01 00 07 FE  FF FF 3F 00  00 00 B6 97  6C 06 00 00
To a new length of 312,560,569 sectors:
000001C0   01 00 07 FE  FF FF 3F 00  00 00 B9 4B  A1 12 00 00

Download new mbr: sdc_new.mbr

Load new MBR on your hard disk.
NOTE:  Be extra careful when entering the commands.  Data loss could result otherwise.

dd if=/path-to-file/sdc_new.pbr of=/dev/sdc bs=512 count=1

Then let "GParted" CHECK the partition again.

If all seems fine and then you could check if the data is still there from Windows.  If so, then I would advise running "chkdsk /f /r" multiple times, until there are no more faults.

Also if you know a set of steps to recreate this problem then I would like to hear them.  So far I have been unable to recreate this problem where suddenly the "NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size".

everything looks great - thanks for all the help! XP is booting fine, and chkdsk isn't finding any errors.

As far as recreating the issue - I don't know of a guaranteed set of steps to recreate (ie, i don't know that there's a bug)..I suspect it was more user error - in the future I won't be setting up multiple (complex) tasks to run at once and will instead run them independently and do a better job of checking the status after each...seems much better to go slow than try to do everything at once..

Also - i tried to update the subject to add "[SOLVED]" at the front but couldn't find where to edit the topic..If a moderator could make the change or reply here with instructions, I'm happy to update..Thanks!

Glad to hear that all is fine now smile

To add "[SOLVED]" to the title, all you need to do is edit your first post.

That's a great job....:)

I will use GParted Live (0.4.7-1) on my work of partition. I wish it will be easy to work and i hope i will not face with any problem.

Janet halloren

gedakc wrote:

From sdc1.pbr, the NTFS Partition Boot Record thinks the volume size is 312,560,568 sectors which is about ~149 GiB.

It is not clear to me which is the correct value (Partition size of ~51 GiB or NTFS volume size of ~149 GiB).

Since you have not copied anything else onto this drive after this first partition, I think it would be safest to adjust the partition table to match the NTFS volume size.  At least it shouldn't hurt, and we can always restore the partition table to the previous value using the sdc.mbr file :-)

The change I have made to the file is from a length of 107,780,022 sectors:
000001C0   01 00 07 FE  FF FF 3F 00  00 00 B6 97  6C 06 00 00
To a new length of 312,560,569 sectors:
000001C0   01 00 07 FE  FF FF 3F 00  00 00 B9 4B  A1 12 00 00

Download new mbr: sdc_new.mbr

Load new MBR on your hard disk.
NOTE:  Be extra careful when entering the commands.  Data loss could result otherwise.

dd if=/path-to-file/sdc_new.pbr of=/dev/sdc bs=512 count=1

Then let "GParted" CHECK the partition again.

If all seems fine and then you could check if the data is still there from Windows.  If so, then I would advise running "chkdsk /f /r" multiple times, until there are no more faults.

Also if you know a set of steps to recreate this problem then I would like to hear them.  So far I have been unable to recreate this problem where suddenly the "NTFS volume size is bigger than the device size".

Thanks gedack, It has solved my problem. I have downloaded new mrb by using your given link.

13 (edited by fitzybhoy 2014-07-24 16:13:06)

can anyone re-upload the link?

----

How to install signal booster

The solutions are specific to each situation.  If you are experiencing a similar problem then please open a new post/thread and provide the details for your situation.