Topic: Vista partition resizing needs new ntfsresize version.

Information from http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/mlf/ezaz/ntfsresize.html indicates that a new version of ntfsresize (part of ntfsprogs that Gparted relies on) has been released.

Versions earlier than 1.13.1.1 don't handle resizing or moving Vista partitions properly.

I'm just not smart enough to boot the LiveCD or USB and have Gparted use the newer ntfsresize version...and I need to expand a Vista partition.

Though Vista does have built-in partion expanding capability, it can only expand into empty space beyond current partition. It can't handle moving or expanding to free space in front of the current partition.

Any chance a re-build of LiveCD with the new ntfsresize will appear sometime soon?

Or maybe someone could give me some quick lesson on how to utilize the ntfsresize-static-1.13.1.1.tgz file with the current GParted.

hbear

Re: Vista partition resizing needs new ntfsresize version.

okay, we will update it asap. thx !

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

OK, I think I'm screwed by not knowing this.  I'm dual-booting Windows XP Professional 32-bit and Windows Vista Business 64-bit.  I used GParted LiveCD 0.3.3 to resize my partitions to allow more space on my User partition by resizing my XP and Vista paritions.  XP recovered fine after running GParted.  It just ran a chkdsk and continued on without problems.  Vista on the other hand, required a startup options repair from the Vista CD-ROM.  I can now get Vista to boot but I can't log into any of my accounts. 

When I try to log in to user accounts, it accepts the username/password but just logs right back out again to the login screen.  When I try to log in to administrator accounts, it gives me a blank blue screen.  If I hit cntl-alt-del and run explorer.exe, it tells me that it couldn't log me into my profile and that I've been logged into a temporary profile and that my settings will not be saved.

I looked at my drives and I noticed that the Vista partition is no longer labeled C:.  It is now E:.  I think that is my problem but when I try to run Computer Management or diskpart.exe in Vista, it tells me that it can't find the file even though I'm clicking on the file to open it.  Thus, I tried running diskpart.exe from the Vista CD-ROM repair option in the command line.  This did not save, though.  When I rebooted, my Vista partition was still E: and not C:.

How do I recover from this?  NTFS looks fine since I can access all my paritions when I'm under XP.  There must be some "hidden" functionality that Microsoft made that GParted doesn't account for.  How do I fix my Vista installation so it will run correctly?

Well, GParted LiveCD 0.3.3 uses ntfsresize 1.13.1 and is not able to work on VIsta. Someone just pointed us this problem.
To resize Vista you need ntfsresize 1.13.1.1, which i have installed on the last beta-0.4 iso, you may find and try (http://gparted.free.fr/gparted_livecd-beta-0.7.iso).

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I figured it out. I was able to run regedt32.exe under XP and it let me load the "System" hive (%SYSTEM%\System32\config\system) under HKLM from my Vista partition. I was able to fix it by following this KB:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188/

thx. Interesting.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

LarryT wrote:

Well, GParted LiveCD 0.3.3 uses ntfsresize 1.13.1 and is not able to work on VIsta. Someone just pointed us this problem.
To resize Vista you need ntfsresize 1.13.1.1, which i have installed on the last beta-0.4 iso, you may find and try (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd/g … ta-0.4.iso).

Dear Larry,

The link is broken. Where can I download the Beta 0.4 LiveCD version? I want to resize my Vista Partition.

Regards,
Parham

Should be better like this : http://gparted.free.fr/gparted_livecd-beta-0.7.iso

BTW : beta 0.7  is the last one !

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I have a similar problem. Today I tried to resize my vista partition. It asked me to do ChkDsk, and I did it in Vista. Problem is I only restarted once. I went back into Gparted, and it didn't tell me I needed to restart. Well I resized the partition of my XP disc, and then added it to my vista partition. After adding it, I restarted and Vista told me it could not boot. When trying to boot into XP, the windows logo goes, but then stops and I get a black screen. Using Gparted again, it said that I needed to finish Chkdsk on the first drive. I cannot do that since I cannot boot into Vista.

Is there anyway I can somehow get my Vista partition to work again? If I can do that, I believe all I have to do is finish chkdsk and XP should work again, but as it stands, neither OS is working. I used the latest Live disc, not the new beta with the updated NTFS.

The last offical livecd is to be released from one day to another.
Anyway using the last release *CANT* resize nicely VIsta.
Could you please give some detailsabout what you exactly did ? : what did you shrink, from end or beginning, ...

thx for reporting

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I shrank 10gb from the end of primary partition 1, which was free space. After that, I moved it to the logical extension and put it to the end of the 20gb partition 2. That's the last time I could use either OS. It seems like I am screwed currently.

Meshuggah wrote:

After that, I moved it to the logical extension

Ho, this is bad. Win needs primary partition to boot off !
I guess we could solve this, but first you need to copy your partition back to some primary partition. Then we need to use hexedit  to set good value in boot sector, but i think it is possible... Or at least possible to try smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

two days ago i used paragon partition manager in XP so make a 20gb 1:1 image of vista, so i have an intact copy. I'm working to try and figure out another method, but I will post more details as I get them.

ok thx for reporting !

Larry
GParted-project Admin