Topic: liveCD kernel boot options documentation

Hi,

I haven't found any documentation about the syntax and the possibilities of the kernel boot options.

In the liveCD iso file, there is a parameters.txt file, but it not explain what are the values to place for each keyword.

example: for keyb=KEYBOARD, there is no explanation of which values are correct for KEYBOARD.

Okay this is realtively simple for keyb, but there are other obscure options..

does anybody know how to set correct values to thoses keyword (read from the parameters.txt file):
live {keyb|kbd-chooser/method}=KEYBOARD
live {klayout|console-setup/layoutcode}=LAYOUT
live {kvariant|console-setup/variantcode}=VARIANT
live {kmodel|console-setup/modelcode}=CODE
live koptions=OPTIONS
live {locale|debian-installer/locale}=LOCALE

Alse, there isn't any search form in the forum, why ?

Regards,
Strato

2 (edited by gedakc 2008-12-12 00:10:27)

Re: liveCD kernel boot options documentation

The search function is listed between the "Rules" and "Profile" menu entries at the top of the page.

3 (edited by cmdr 2008-12-16 02:48:11)

Hello strato,

the kernel parameters concerning the keyboard are processed in bash script "live" within "initrd1.img" (a gzipped cpio-file), but there is neither further information about them, nor is it transparent, where these settings are used, if at all. Anyhow, the X-Window GUI (Desktop with GParted) does NOT need them. It gets its settings by the dialogues within the squashfile installation.

If your aim is to get rid of these boring dialogues, once you have found the correct settings, there are other parameters : gl_kbd, gl_lang, gl_numlk, gl_capslk, gl_batch (the latter overrides the last question, before the graphical surface starts).
Use for example : gl_kbd=us gl_lang=en_US gl_numlk=on gl_batch

Due to an error in a script file, the keyboard layout is not changeable this way in X-Window. It always defaults to "us", if you use the "unattended" start ... but you can easily do it manually : type in a Terminal window at the prompt (without quotation marks) : "setxkbmap -layout fr" (for French; "it" for Italian; "de" for German etc.). Note, that there is an own (limited) database with usually two letters per language ( see "/usr/share/X11/xkp/keymap/xfree86").

Regards
cmdr

Edit: Corrected typo "gl_keyb" to "gl_kbd"; thanks to Val3r10

Edit: Here is the reference for the parameters.

4 (edited by Val3r10 2008-12-16 00:40:56)

Thanks for these details.
Actually I tried, and my case it partially works:
- gl_lang=it_IT works fine (even skipping its menu)
- gl_keyb=it doesn't work, as the default keyboard is set to NONE and I'm asked for querty and so on...

I guess there's a typo, and the correct syntax should be gl_kbd=XX ...
Besides, a little workaround to solve the other issue pointed out is to set also keyb=XX, to get the correct layout within the gui too.

My case, gl_lang=it_IT gl_kbd=it keyb=it does the complete job.

Thank you again for the right way

..._

Hello Val3r10,

I just tested your suggestion with "keyb=XX" ... and it works for my language, too !
Ergo, I was wrong, this keyboard parameter seems to work and has an important effect !

Thx
cmdr

Interesting thought, i completely agree with your perspective

calcul credit immobilier courtier taux simulation de france pretUne simulation credit immobiler de France a faire un pret.calcul credit immobilier courtier taux simulation de france pret