Topic: forgotten formating

Yesterday, I tried to install ubuntu onto my laptop. I had 3 partitions that had come with the computer, which had Windows XP installed. After I reduced the windows partition, and then created the two partitions (for ubuntu and the swap file), Gparted said that the partitions were successful. I went onto the next step, which talked about mounting the partitions. To check which partition was which, I went 'back'.

Gparted said the partitions I had changed; most importantly, my NTFS partition (XP), no longer had a format. I quit and tried to boot Windows, and it didn't work. Its not of extreme importance, but I'd like to have the files back. Is there a way (I doubt it) to get them?

Thanks

Re: forgotten formating

Well, first of all : dont panic wink ! But you dont seem to smile
Could you please give more details about what you exactly did ?
-Which too and version did you use ? GParted within from ubunutu ? Which version is it ? Or livecd ? Which version ?
- You say you resized XP, but from the end or the beginning ?
-Could print  the output of "fdisk -l" here ? And even some screenshot ?

It is *very* difficult to guess what you did, as you may guess too wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

I used GParted from within a ubuntu live cd version 6.06. It comes up as part of the install process. I'll get back to you when I have more info - I can't get it right now.

hm, anyway i think the ubuntu 'gparted version is not up2date sad

Larry
GParted-project Admin

I'm pretty sure that I resized XP from the end. I clicked 'resize/move', and then reduced 'new size'. Reducing 'new size' added to 'free space following'. I did remember to deframgent windows before trying to repartition.

Also: Under the 'filesystem' column, it just says 'unknown'.

I tried "fdisk -l" in the linux terminal and nothing showed up.

Hm, if i well understand you run GParted from within ubuntu. could you try to use the last beta iso i have uploaded yesterday, and see how it goes? (I wonder how this ubuntu livecd works :-/).
Then take a screenshot and post it somewhere.
Howto save a file : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/ti … etails.htm   
Beta iso : http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=313

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Ubuntu won't install, so I can't do anything on the system. I'll wipe the data and partition as part of reinstalling Windows XP. Thanks alot for your help / advice though.