1 (edited by RabanePaco 2007-01-23 00:26:58)

Topic: Disk size not adjusted after GParted [SOLVED]

I increased the size of boot partition of a Windows XP system with GParted, but the size of the hard  drive remained the same. Is there a way to fix the size of the drive? I'm missing 9 GB, more as half of my drive.

I used GParted on the Ubuntu 6.10 live CD. Latest Ubuntu; I assume also last GParted.

After repartitioning I rebooted Windows. Chkdsk ran; I don't remember any unusual messages. Windows runs fine.

The C: drive says it has a total capacity of  6,83 GB with 970 MB free. This also was the size of the original; partition.  Computer Management/Storage/Disk management gives the same disk size, but a partition size of  almost 16 GB. This is the same (or similar) as the size I changed the partition to with GParted.

Is there a way to increase the size of the disk drive to that of the partition? Could I use Norton Ghost to save the partition and restore it to a reformated larger one? Can I do this with a system disk?

Of course the whole exercise is to save me having to reinstall Windows and 100+ applications.

Re: Disk size not adjusted after GParted [SOLVED]

RabanePaco wrote:

I used GParted on the Ubuntu 6.10 live CD. Latest Ubuntu; I assume also last GParted.

Unfortunalty i am really not sure of this last point ! :-/
Please : have a look first !

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Re: Disk size not adjusted after GParted [SOLVED]

LarryT wrote:
RabanePaco wrote:

Unfortunalty i am really not sure of this last point ! :-/
Please : have a look first !

Indeed. Ubuntu 6.10 contains GParted 0.2.5. Not the newest. Next time I'll check myself first.

Good thing is the problem got solved.

I reran GParted (0.2.5). Strange thing, I noted that GParted didn't report the right amount of used disk space [much too much; almost whole partition. Much larger as Windows amount reported by windows.]. I increasing the size of the first partition with that of the unused 2nd partition. Amount of used disk space jumped to about the right amount. I decreased the partition again, freeing  the spare partition. Used space remained the same.

Rebooting windows, after a chkdsk all seems o.k. C: drive has 10.6 GB, some 60 %  free. Don't know what went wrong, but end good, all good.

Thanks for your interest.