1 (edited by Hellcom 2007-01-20 23:38:31)

Topic: Wirte access denied? [SOLVED]

I run windows XP and Ubuntu 6.10 on two separate partitions on my primary hard drive. I have used both the regular ubuntu binaries and livecd so I thought best to post here. I wanted to make my external HDD ext2 from NTFS so that with some extra drivers for windows I could share data easily between the two. I know I probably did this the long way, but whatever.

*Made a livecd of Gparted.
*Resized the external HDD NTFS partition to near min capacity.
*Used the now unallocated space to create a second partition with an ext2 file system.
*Went into windows and manually copied and pasted all data from resized NTFS partition to the ext2 partition
*Booted livecd again, deleted NTFS paritition and created an ext3 in it's place
*Booted ubuntu, intending to copy and paste all data into first partition, but found I lacked permissions to write. I was trying to keep all data to sda1 and then would of deleted partition two and resized partition one.
*Downloaded gparted for ubuntu, image below details were I am at now

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v608/Hellcom/Screenshot.png

Re: Wirte access denied? [SOLVED]

I am sorry , but this seems to be a ubuntu problem, not GParted.... Or i missunderstand what you want  :-/

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Well it might be. Would the locking of the partitions be a ubuntu problem? It seems I can access them in windows XP with the extra drivers, but they are read only in ubuntu. I made the partitions in gparted soooooooo.... you know tongue

What is possible is that the partition has been mounted by root so they are not accessible in rw mode, but this comes from ubuntu
if GParted did this, you couldnt even access to it with XP or nothing else wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

5 (edited by Hellcom 2007-01-20 23:36:23)

Thanks, that's something I just confirmed on ubuntu forums. Great program btw, really helped.