Topic: Large device support

Hi

Is the kernel on the gparted livecd compiled with support for large block devices?

I am using a machine with a LSI megaraid SAS card, the cd image I just downloaded has the LSI SAS card drivers, and seems to find it ok, but I have 12 500GiB drives in a 5.5TB raid 5, and gparted will not let me make a partition more than 1TB and only reconises the RAID as 1TB, which is usually a sign of the lack of large block device support.

Can I use gparted to make a 5TB partition?

TIA

Re: Large device support

tokka wrote:

Hi

Is the kernel on the gparted livecd compiled with support for large block devices?

I am using a machine with a LSI megaraid SAS card, the cd image I just downloaded has the LSI SAS card drivers, and seems to find it ok, but I have 12 500GiB drives in a 5.5TB raid 5, and gparted will not let me make a partition more than 1TB and only reconises the RAID as 1TB, which is usually a sign of the lack of large block device support.

Can I use gparted to make a 5TB partition?

TIA

Let me have a look at this point, and i tell you asap smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

did you use the beta or the last official release?
The beta livecd has support for large blockdevices enabled, but i'm not sure about the official livecd.
Also, there was an issue with gparted and large blockdevices, this is solved in SVN, but we didn't make an official release yet, because we're in the middle of creating a new livecd.

Hi
I used the 3.3.0 ISO from SourceForge. Where would I find the beta?

http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=313
there smile

Larry
GParted-project Admin

So is it possible to confirm that the beta 6 cd does have support for large block devices?

All beta-iso have support for it since it is configure in the config file of the kernel !

#
# Block layer
#
CONFIG_LBD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IO_TRACE is not set
CONFIG_LSF=y

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Tokka,

A couple of things.

I thought that you needed to configure your kernal for LBDs when you reached a single volume size at the 2tb point. Maybeing I got some bad info.

Second did you grow your raid by adding disks over time, or are you setting up for 12 disks all at the same time right now?

I'm asking this to find out if your data survived as your grew your raid volume. I am about to reach that  critical 2tb point now and am trying to figure out if I need to move forward now with setting up LBD enabled and adding enough disks to get to 2.5 or 3tb right now while I can still manage my raw data (aprox 700Gb).

If it is true that you need to setup for LBD at 1tb that may address another issue that I have.