Topic: recover ext2 partitions

i really want to convert my hda to ext3 since ext3 can fix the partitions structure on power failure. currently my hda in
ext2 format. i am using debian.

i mistakenly  thought that the format to command will convert ext2 to ext3 partitions. i saw there is a feature for converting
ext3 to ext2. After that, i realize i already lost my data in ext2 and the current /dev/hda3 format is ext3.

i there anything i can do to get my data back?

Re: recover ext2 partitions

Well, it could be easy to convert ext2 to ext3 since you just have to enable journalization ! No formatting was needed !
This enable jounalization on hda3 ext2 fs:

tune2fs -j /dev/hda3

hda3 is now ext3 fs

This disable journalization on hda3 ext3 fs :

tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/hda3

hda3 is now ext2 fs

So, what could you do now is maybe to try to turn off/on journalization and see if something is still there.
But i dont know if there is a way to get back you data

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

i just realize how serious this thing can be. Years of my hard coding in there. Do i really lost my data? I wonder why no one
write about getting data back after formatted out there (tired asking google already). In FAT or NTFS i know there is a lot
software to get files includes directories folder etc. I just spare a little hope that this can be done in EXT2 and EXT3 as well.

please tell me how to do that if anyone here know?

paragasu, i think you miss doing the fisrt thing one *must* always do before playing with hd partitions : doing a complete backup of sensitive data ...
By the way, there is a powerfull tool that alloaws you to keep back your data : http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7684
SpinRite seems to be a good tool, but this is not free.

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)