Topic: Optimal partitions for XP and Ubuntu?

I've just got a brand new PC with a 250 gb hardisk.  Nothing installed yet.  My primary question is; Shall i intall XP at C before making further partitions?   Or use GParted before installing XP pro in my primary part.? 

Now I have to use the occation and get my first experience with Linux.  And I think I'll go for Ubuntu.  Until now 13 gb and win98 has been enough.  Not that much pictures and music.  I know that GParted is the default partitioning program for Ubuntu.  Does that means that I should just download Ubuntu, then use the CD for partitioning, then stop, install XP and then finally Ubuntu?
Or download a separate GParted?   

http://partition.radified.com/partitioning_3.htm has given me some recommendations about optimal partitioning.   I think I will go for the 4'th figure/alternative on this page; http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning  and then use half of the yellow FAT32 for a second NTFS  because most probably XP will further on be my primary system.  The FAT32 is for my win98 data (as I'm using now). 

Windows (NTFS)         20GB  (C)
A NTFS for programs and data  100GB  (Should this be separated?  D and E ? )
shared space (FAT32) 25GB   

/ (ext3)                      10GB
/home (ext3)              50GB
swap                           1GB

This is all together 206 GB, further 44 still free.  Is that ok - for changes later, or should I increase the size of the second NTFS up to the limit?  At the first link above (page2) I read that "use all remaining space to create your Extended partition... that unused space is a noobie problem..

Yeah, I'm a noobie.  Please give me some advice so that I can start up.
best reg.'s Roan, Norway

Re: Optimal partitions for XP and Ubuntu?

What you plane seems to be okay for me. Except that i would download GParted livecd, and make my partitionning with it, and then install XP, (which will reformate the ntfs fs ), and then install ubuntu.

enjoy wink

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Thank's for your reply Larry!
Because I've never done this before I'm a bit worried about all the settings for making all the partions correct.   Could it be a more safe alternative to install XP at C (20gb) and make the partitions D and E (resp. 60 + 40) and F for Fat32 when I install XP .   And then use Gparted CD for the Ubuntu partions?
Are there any negative consequenses of leaving some space free at the desk?  It seems more safe to extend one/ some of the partions later.

Like i said it is easier to make all your partitions using GParted livecd, and then reboot with XP cdrom and make your win install, and then your ubunutu install.

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Ok, then I'll go for that alternative!

I didn't succeed with theGparted liveCD!

When I come to the first menu about loading alternative kernel modules then I get two messages below;  "No GParted LiveCD found!!!"   and "Kernel panic - not syncing; attemted to kill init!

I tried 3 times and answered first by Enter, then Cancel,   then D  for "Done"'
but all of them gave the same message (above)
'
The CD is 30 MB, a folder Isolinux and a file Gparted (of 22808 mb)

In this situation, don't you think the best way to get Win's installed, just to make  make a first partition by XP's setup (c) and then try to fix the other partitions later?

Maybe it will funk then when win's is installed (and the kernel accessible)?
Or is it MUCH better to use GParted?

did you ever burn any iso file to cdr ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin

Yes, I burned the iso file.  The CD is 30 MB, and include a folder "Isolinux" and one major file outside this folder - "Gparted" which is 22808 mb. 
I think this is correct.   
But what do you think about the alternative; just install XP into C, and then go on by GParted?

24 hours later;
I've just download the last version of Ubuntu, the whole installation and not just GParted, and then no problem with this error;   "GParted LiveCD found!!!"   and "Kernel panic - not syncing; attemted to kill init!"
Anyhow, thank's for helping me LarryT!