Topic: LiveUSB not booting

hi,

trying to get the liveusb version of gparted working.
I've downloaded the zip version from here:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gparte … g_mirror=0

I then downloaded the live usb helper from here:
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfil … _id=241180
Program wanted me to install the HP utility so i installed that as well.

I then run the helper, i select the thumb drive and select format.
I then select install the image file and point it to the zip file i downloaded above. It seems to unpack the zip and copy everything to the thumb drive.

I then click on make usb flash drive bootable.

When i try to boot from it i get an error saying: could not find kernal image: linux

I've also tried following the directions here:
http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?pid=1725
but they dont work for me as i am missing the files from the iso, such as gparted.bat

Anyone know of a walk through that shows you how to boot off the usb thumb drive?

I'm working in windows.

thanks

2 (edited by cmdr 2009-01-22 01:17:49)

Re: LiveUSB not booting

Hello merk,

I'm working in windows.

Then it is of course easier for you to do as much stuff as possible with Windows. Look in "Explorer", whether you have at minimum :

in folder "syslinux":
chain.c32
Gsplash.png
memdisk
menu.c32
syslinux.cfg
vesamenu.c32

in folder "live" :
vmlinuz1
initrd1.img
filesystem.squashfs

Open "syslinux.cfg" (with "WordPad", not "Editor"), look if there are similar lines :

kernel /live/vmlinuz1
  append initrd=/live/initrd1.img boot=live union=aufs    noswap noprompt vga=791 ip=frommedia nolocales

Root folder files are for information only.
If "syslinux" got not correctly installed (which seems not to be so, due to the fault message), you can do it under windows with : \utils\win32\makeboot.bat. This should also be on your stick and can afterwards be removed ( it should for safety reasons, see below; folder "utils" totally ).

Caution: BE SURE TO CHANGE CURRENT DIRECTORY TO <Stick>: \utils\win32; OTHERWISE "syslinux" GETS INSTALLED ON YOUR WINDOWS HARDDISK ! A SMALL-SIZED DESASTER, BUT UNNECESSARY SUPPLEMENTAL WORK !

Note, that XP has a built-in zip-viewer/unzipper, which will do the work, if anything is missing on the stick.

Good luck
cmdr

3 (edited by merk 2009-01-22 01:29:15)

Thanks, i'll give that a try next time as your other suggestion for using UNetbootin worked like a charm for me. smile

I have a similar problem... exactly the same response!

But my route to it has been to follow the "Creating the Parted Magic LiveUSB" instructions to get files onto the USB and then checked OK that "ldlinux.sys" is on the USB.

Looking at the USB in Windows Explorer, I see this file structure:

Removable Disk>
>pmagic>
>>Pmagic-usb-3.7
>>>boot>grub, isolinux, pxelinux, syslinux
>>>pmagic>pmodules, bzImage, initrd

So I am still in need of help to get it working.  It seems I do not have the same files as suggested by cmdr?  If anyone can help me I will be most grateful.

PS I am not really skilled with command-line level of working, so please keep any comments simple!  Many thanks!

Bev

Hello bevm1066,

what do you want to install : "PartedMagic"(containing "GParted") or "GParted" ? Your files belong to "Parted Magic" and therefore do not match my list for "Gparted". Anyway, I also have problems at the moment to get "Parted Magic" to work from USB with its newer versions.  But it crashes at a later instant of time than yours.

Regards
cmdr

Hi cmdr

Sorry if I did not explain enough... - as I said: pretty new to this level of detail - but maybe I can play the "age card" = 63 and still trying pretty hard to keep up!

I just received a new Lenovo IdeaPad s10e netbook PC and it came with a 160 GB HD that Windows XP (as installed) reports as 146GB - apparently a single partition...  (The User Guide mentions that since it does not have "recovery disks" it may have the Product Recovery Program installed to restore entire contents of the HD to factory state.)

So my thinking was this: install Partion Magic v8.0 (I have a CD version, but realised I needed a USB carried version, so then went looking around the web and found Parted Magic (or so I thought, but from your comment not quite?).  My plan is to use it to see if the HD is in fact already partitioned and then to create two 50 GB partitions- one for primary data and one for archived data.  I assume this would be a good plan and safe way to do things?

Thus from your answer I might have stumbled on something that does not quite work anyway?  I have to admit that I do not understand the difference you mention between: "PartedMagic" and "GParted"?

Now you know what I intended, may I ask if this is the right thing to do given my plan or is there a quicker route for me - I want to commision this IdeaPad as soon as possible, of course, and I have a few applications to install into the Programs partition.

You ideas would be very helpful, given that from your comments PartedMagic may not yet be mature for my requirement?

Bev

7 (edited by cmdr 2009-03-04 19:18:08)

Hello bev,

I just received a new Lenovo IdeaPad s10e netbook PC and it came with a 160 GB HD that Windows XP (as installed) reports as 146GB - apparently a single partition...  (The User Guide mentions that since it does not have "recovery disks" it may have the Product Recovery Program installed to restore entire contents of the HD to factory state.)

160 GB = 149 GiB (division by 1.024 three times); 149 - 146 GiB = 3 GiB (space for recovery partition). As the recovery stuff always is on a separate partition, there are two partitions at minimum on your HDD ( the recovery partition may be invisible to XP and often contains a compressed disk image, which is very fast to restore).

Now we have to clarify the three programs,  which were mentioned in your partitioning context.

1. Partition Magic V 8.0 (old version from 2002 ?)

Commercial DOS/Windows program, that allows, what you intend. Disadvantage : It installs its own bootloader, which is hard to get rid of again.

2. PartedMagic V 3.7 ( actually the latest )
GNU licenced (free) Linux program, which contains "GParted" (see 3.).

3. GParted Live V 0.4.1-2 ( latest stable version )
GNU licenced (free) Linux program for creating, resizing, moving partitions without loss of contents ( well, I do not say, that it NEVER happens. A backup before is a good idea.). Will also do, what you intend, without installing something against your will.

There is an ISO-Image ( =CDROM-image ) or a ZIP-File with the usable programs. Since your netbook does NOT have an optical drive, you need an USB-Stick.

As you are here in a forum, which covers "GParted", I will explain, how you can do the job with "GParted"

How to:

1. Download "GParted Live" -ISO-Image ( that's no fault, see later) from here

2. Download "UNetbootin (Windows V. 3.12)" from here

3. Take an empty FAT or FAT32 formatted USB-Stick ( >= 256 MB ), attach it to the netbook and
keep its drive letter in mind or write it down. You should also know the folder, where the ISO image is stored locally on your netbook.

4. Start "UNetbootin" (single EXE-file without installation), mark "Diskimage" "ISO" and seek your download, then  choose drive letter of the attached USB stick below ("Type: USB drive"). Start program ("OK").

5. Ready ! You now have a bootable "GParted Live" distro on stick. Reboot (maybe you have to change boot sequence), start "default" and answer the configuration questions (language, keyboard etc.). If everything went right, you see the graphical interface and "GParted" examining your harddisk for a while.

The partitioning graphic shows, how much partitions your HDD already has.

To have an exact non-graphical information for us in the forum, please start "Terminal" (double-click on Desktop icon within "GParted") and type (l = lower-case L)

fdisk -l -u

and press [ENTER]. Write down carefully the output and present it here.

Then you will get advice, how to proceed with your intended partitioning task.

Regards
cmdr

Hi cmdr

Wow - many thanks, already, for the time you are taking in tutoring me through this process!

I followed everything described and now have the following info on the screen after using the fdisk -l -u/ Enter command (as requested) as follows:

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
Units = sectors 0f 1 * 512 bytes = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xd4890dc3

Device     Boot           Start                End             Blocks    Id    System
/dev/sda1        *             2048    307564424    153781188+   7    HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2             307554304    312578047        2511872    27   Unknown

Disk /dev/sda: 507 MB GB, 507322880 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 983 cylinders, total 990865 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x71538322

Device     Boot           Start                End             Blocks    Id    System
/dev/sdb1        *              237           990863          495313+   6    FAT16

I presume the later report (/dev/sdb) is about the USB? and notice that /dev/sda - GParted screen shows this as "unallocated", unlike /dev/sdb which shows a green box around /dev/sdb1 and 483.70 MB...  So I guess that "allocating is a next step?

Looking forward to what I hope is a little more help, now!

Bev

Hello bev,
very good job done !

bevm1066 wrote:

Disk /dev/sda: 507 MB GB, 507322880 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 983 cylinders, total 990865 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x71538322
I presume the later report (/dev/sdb) is about the USB?

Yes, "/dev/sdb" is the USB stick ( "Disk /dev/sda" surely is a little typo here ?).

... and notice that /dev/sda - GParted screen shows this as "unallocated" ...
So I guess that "allocating" is a next step?

Be cautious, your HDD isn't "unallocated" at all, even if "GParted" says so. It merely has an unusual partitioning. You say, that "Gparted" doesn't show the two existing partitions in its graphical window ? Was there only unallocated space on "/dev/sda", no "/dev/sda1" or "/dev/sda2" ? Since  "GParted" can only work on things, it recognizes clearly, this would be a bad sign for your intended resizing process.

Normally the lower border of the first primary partition (/dev/sda1) starts at sector 63 ( i.e one "track" is reserved for a boot mechanism; usually only one single sector is used for the Master Boot Record). Your HDD's lower border is sector 2048. I assume, that there is a program, which launches the recovery process on the second primary partition (you have to press [ALT] [F10] at boot to start it ?).  The Partition table shown by "fdisk" seems to be normal, except for the above mentioned lower border; the two primary partitions are detected.

I have no solution at the moment. I will reflect on this issue and be back tomorrow.

Regards
cmdr

cmdr

Ah - may be a problem then to do what I hoped...!

I have a screen shot of what I was trying to describe, but not sure of how to deliver it to you, via this forum?

Anyway my description is that the graphics area only has the follwoing text in it:

"unallocated
149.04 GB"

- centred in the box that spans the whole window..., as well as the same info below the bar showing Partition/File System/Size/Used/Unused/Flags.

Bev

You can upload the picture to any free host like http://www.imageshack.us/ or photobucket and post the link here.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

class413 wrote:

You can upload the picture to any free host like http://www.imageshack.us/ or photobucket and post the link here.

class413

Many thanks for this idea - looks like this is what I needed to show:
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9661/img3530crop.th.png

Bev

Hello Bev,
your screenshot shows exactly, what you described ... and alas, this doesn't match reality !
But there is one possibility left : ntfsresize. This is a commandline tool (in Terminal window), which "Gparted" also uses (and therefore is contained on your USB Stick), when working on NTFS. NTFS is a little bit problematic, because Microsoft keeps its structure as a secret. GNU programming for NTFS is reverse engineering, which might not cover all cases or might have unexpected limits. Please backup everything on your netbook, what you don't want to loose, before you proceed. Using "ntfsresize" should not touch the boot code or the recovery partition, but it is not totally excluded.  Having or getting (from your dealer) a WinXP-CDROM and a driver disk for your netbook, would be a welcome reassurance. Changing the factory state might also void warranty.

I'm afraid, that, after shrinking your XP partition, "GParted" will continue showing nothing but unallocated space. It is therefore not possible to create a new volume with "Gparted". But this is an easy task for Win XP's Disk Management. I would suggest to create an Extended Partition with the intended logical volume inside, because you are not limited to four (primary) partitions (three are already "shot"), which gives you flexibility for further changes. The fact, that the partitions are not in disk order afterwards, does NOT care Windows, and it must not be changed or you loose the recovery function.
NTFS is fault-tolerant, resizing tools are NOT. You should run "chkdsk /F /R" twice from WinXP to assure a clean filesystem BEFORE using any Linux programs and AFTER the resizing. Sometimes it is better, shrinking in a few smaller steps to the wanted size than to do it in a big one. It is important to test after each step, whether XP is still bootable ( and running "chkdsk" !).  Some users noticed, that "ntfsresize" does not only shrink the partition, but move it unintentionally a small amount. The loss of storage(=>unallocated space), however, is neglectable.

How to :
1. Enable your "GParted" USB-Stick to store screenshots and other print-outs
a. Start WinXP, attach your USB-Stick, open "syslinux.cfg" with "WordPad".
As you might have noticed, there is a menu item at boot "To RAM, Boot media can be removed  later" . This "unlocks" the stick for mounting it as read/write device. The smallest amount of RAM storage loss is achieved by changing the "append initrd= ..." parameter from "toram" to "toram=filesystem.squashfs". Do this please, store it and choose the appropriate menu item at next boot.
b. After booting, open "Terminal" window and type ([Enter] after each line)

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
mkdir/mnt/usb/bup
mc /mnt/usb/bup /root

"Midnight Commander" file manager opens; you see at left folder "/root", where screenshots are stored (gparted.jpeg), and at right the new folder "bup" on your USB Stick. Mouse isn't working within "mc". You change side with [TAB]-key and copy highlighted file with [F5] to the other side. To store the output of a commandline, use " ...(any command)... > /mnt/usb/bup/(whatIwantToStore).txt". If "...txt" is highlighted, press [F3] to view it.

2. Study this carefully.

3. Test, whether NTFS partition is recognized and minimal size for XP detected (don't forget an appropriate surplus for updates and new programs )

ntfsresize -n -i /dev/sda1 > /mnt/usb/bup/ntfsrszInfo.txt

Since the print-out is stored permanently on your stick, you can present it easily here, before continuing ! Please state the intended new size of Win XP and the number of smaller steps, you want to use (see above).

4. Do a test run

ntfsresize -n -v -s ......M /dev/sda1 > /mnt/usb/bup/ntfsrszActio.txt

...... stands for the target size in MegaBytes. Guess, where you should present the file.

5. Shrink your WinXP partition

ntfsresize -v -s ......M /dev/sda1

...... stands for the target size in MegaBytes. This value decreases from step to step.
Probably the first primary partition looses the bootflag with this procedure. You verify/restore it with "fdisk"

fdisk -l -u

Look for the asterisk behind "/dev/sda1". If it lacks, type

fdisk /dev/sda
a
p
w

6. Do a test run, see 4.

7. Use "fdisk" to temporarily delete and instantly recreate partition table 1 a little bit bigger than the new resized WinXP volume, see the link above. This is very important !!!

8. If everything went right, open XP's Disk Management, create an extended partition and a logical volume of appropriate size within. Format it with NTFS or FAT32. Ready !

Good luck for this adventure
cmdr

cmdr

I read your email and at first wondered if I should carry on - you were certainly taking me into very much unknown territory and I knew that I would have to follow your instructions "parrot-fashion"...!

Well I have read and re-read your instructions and started out this afternoon having some quality time, but I regret I did not get very far before things seemed to go wrong.

1a worked OK, but 1b seemed not to work right: I got Terminal running and started keying in the instructions as given but received some responses that did not look good as follows:

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb     gave message: "special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist"
mkdir/mnt/usb/bup                 gave message: "No such file or directory!
mc /mnt/usb/bup /root

Nevertheless I carried on and opened "mlterm screen" - was that the correct next step?  Your explanation seemed to be laterally inverted: /root at right.  (Will post a screen picture, as before.)

I am certainly very grateful for your help so far, but have become embarrased to proceed as it must be taking you so much time.  I am now thinking that I just will not be able to achieve what I had wanted to do and now i should ask Lenovo and Microsoft to solve the challenge - they really ought not to sell kit that cannot be properly used by reasonable customers.

Bev

cmdr wrote:

Hello Bev,
your screenshot shows exactly, what you described ... and alas, this doesn't match reality !
But there is one possibility left : ntfsresize. <cut>

How to :
1. Enable your "GParted" USB-Stick to store screenshots and other print-outs
a. Start WinXP, attach your USB-Stick, open "syslinux.cfg" with "WordPad".
As you might have noticed, there is a menu item at boot "To RAM, Boot media can be removed  later" . This "unlocks" the stick for mounting it as read/write device. The smallest amount of RAM storage loss is achieved by changing the "append initrd= ..." parameter from "toram" to "toram=filesystem.squashfs". Do this please, store it and choose the appropriate menu item at next boot.
b. After booting, open "Terminal" window and type ([Enter] after each line)

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb
mkdir/mnt/usb/bup
mc /mnt/usb/bup /root

"Midnight Commander" file manager opens; you see at left folder "/root", where screenshots are stored (gparted.jpeg), and at right the new folder "bup" on your USB Stick. Mouse isn't working within "mc". You change side with [TAB]-key and copy highlighted file with [F5] to the other side. To store the output of a commandline, use " ...(any command)... > /mnt/usb/bup/(whatIwantToStore).txt". If "...txt" is highlighted, press [F3] to view it.

<cut>

Good luck for this adventure
cmdr

Hello bev,

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb     gave message(1): "special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist"
mkdir/mnt/usb/bup                 gave message(2): "No such file or directory!
mc /mnt/usb/bup /root

Message 1 means, that your stick had an other device name; you can easily figure it out by typing : fdisk -l -u

Message 2 should have worked, even if mounting failed, but it seems, that there is no space between "mkdir" and "/mnt/usb...".

You are right, I confused left and right with "mc". It reads from the commandline as it is shown in the filemanager.

I read your email and at first wondered if I should carry on ...

Courage , let' s get up to step 4, and then we will reevaluate your chances. Up to that point, nothing gets changed ... but you already gained much skill to handle Linux !

I reflected this weekend about what "GParted" might confuse, that it doesn't show the two partitions in its graphical window. I think,  it's the filesystem ID (0x27, unknown) of the recovery partition, which is not contained in the fdisk list.  But Microsoft, Acer, Lenovo and others use this ID to hide their recovery software. AFAIK, it is a simple FAT32 file system. It is very easy to set this one Byte field in the partition table 2 to an arbitrary value (FAT32=0x0B or 0x0C), thus revealing its existence ( temporarily, until you finished).

I am now thinking that I just will not be able to achieve what I had wanted to do and now i should ask Lenovo and Microsoft to solve the challenge - they really ought not to sell kit that cannot be properly used by reasonable customers.

Hiding vital functions (recovery software) from being accidentally overwritten or deleted by the customer, who hits by hazard one key to much, isn't that bad. Launching it by HDD boot and not with separate media, simplifies desaster recovery. To put this partition to the end of the HDD, leaves the customer a contiguous storage area. If it didn't exist, it should be invented that way.
I think, it's really possible to create a further partition without a total loss !

Regards
cmdr

Hello cmdr

Your latest reply gave me heart because you are still prepared to keep going with this challenge!

Courage , let' s get up to step 4, and then we will reevaluate your chances. Up to that point, nothing gets changed ... but you already gained much skill to handle Linux !

I think I have moved on quite a bit with all your tutoring!  I am still having some problems, though...

Firstly simple communications issues: I am not finding http://www.imageshack.us/ very good - it runs really slowly here for some reason, so my screen pictures that you need to see have been posted at http://picasaweb.google.com/bevm1066, which I use quite a bit - hope that will not be too annoying to go to, for the necessary info.  (I had to use that because I have not figured out how to get from the txt files as you will see in MC back to Windows to then find them on the USB stick and then append them to this list thread, which I am accessing on another PC.)  But that might not be too important as the screen pictures may well show the progress I have made.

Message 1 means, that your stick had an other device name; you can easily figure it out by typing : fdisk -l -u

It is a Cruzer micro 512MB one, with U3 as well, so I found the highest level name to be "sdb"

I think that Step 4 gives an OK result, but maybe it really will be best if I can be tutorted to send the actual txt file to you?

Bev

cmdr

Sorry - In answer to your question, I forgot to say my plan is to eventually have three partitions: a Windows and other programs partition of about 56 GB and two other 50 GB partitions for data.

Bev

Hello bev,
first some "communication issues" :

If you give an URL (http:...) here, do not put a punctuation mark behind without at least one space following, otherwise it gets part of the address, which then leads to "Nirwana" (Fault 404). I prefer the URL - Tag and use words (e.g.  see [ url = http://... ]here[ / url ]; without spaces, it would be processed; see below ), instead of the written URL. The tag is available above with the formatting icons ( 4th from left ). Just highlight the URL, click upon the icon and modify it as indicated above.

For file uploads, I use this URL.

The red wine at Ferney-Voltaire last year tasted good ? I was in Geneva four or five times, but I know much better the French side of the lake for decades.
- snip -

It's not quite clear due to your screenshots, whether you managed to mount the USB stick. Did you verify its device name (/dev/sdb1 ?),  did the fault message with "mount..." finally disappear ?
The existing "bup" folder is no safe indicator,  because it gets created anyway.  A safe indicator would be, if you put an arbitrary small file to the root folder of your stick under Windows, and you see it in "mc" under Linux.

Linux needs a while to detect an attached USB-Stick. If you just plugged it in and try to mount it instantly, it might not be ready yet. But there are no new instructions to mount it; just follow my steps.

You presented "ntfsrszInfo.txt" as an excerpt of the essential (first and last) lines, which is very good -  but I miss the same with "ntfsrszActio.txt". If you manage to get access via Windows to that textfile, copy and paste just the few important summarizing details or fault messages and put it to a file sharing site.

The three intended partitions (56GB -  ~50GB - ~50GB) are OK. The first step then is to shrink from 156GB to 56GB in a few steps. I would suggest per 20GB, i.e. first step from 156GB to 136GB.

Regards
cmdr