Topic: GParted livecd 0.3.4-8 Boots to Grub Command Line

Hello,

I downloaded GParted livecd 0.3.4-8 and created the boot CD by burning the iso image to the CD.  When I boot the CD it goes to a Grub command line?  There are no menus?  GParted livecd 0.3.1-1 booted fine with no problems.

Please help.

Thank you,
SonWon

Re: GParted livecd 0.3.4-8 Boots to Grub Command Line

0.3.1-1 is rather old version. It's safer to go with a 0.3.4-x version.
Can you try -7, -6 or -5 versions on a cdrw?
There are some changes in the boot and hardware detection / driver code, with essentially the same resizing function.

(Topic moved to the Livecd support section).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hmm,

I think you misunderstood.

GParted livecd 0.3.4-8, boots to a grub command

GParted livecd 0.3.1-1, boots just fine

I'll try -7, -6, or -5 if it will help?  There are other reports of problems in the forums though.

Thank you,

I understand that the livecd 0.3.4-8 doesn't boot on your computer. That's why you can try versions that use other boot options and system. Such versions are 0.3.4-5 and 0.3.4-2.

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Okay,

GParted livecd 0.3.4-5, 6, 7, and 8 all boot to a grub command line.

I also downloaded GParted livecd 0.3.1-1 and burned to the cd-rw to make sure the cd and drive where good.  It worked and booted to GParted.

So the problem is with the changes made between GParted livecd 0.3.1-1 and 0.3.4-5.

Thank you for your help.

And let me know what else I can provide to fix this problem for future users and me.  smile

I wrote about 0.3.4-5 and 0.3.4-2 in my previous post, because there were important changes of the booting code then.

*All* previous versions since 2005 are available to download.
Change logs are available too, through the "News" page in the main Gparted CD.
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php?alles=alles

However, very old versions are perhaps lacking drivers. Furthermore, don't use 0.2.x versions, because they are too old and buggy. If 0.3.1 version works, you can try it. Details on your hardware (motherboard/chipest/BIOS versions, hard drives + optical drives) would be useful too.

Mitac 8355 laptop only 3 years old so should still work?  Also there are many other complaints about booting to grub command line on forum.

VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio
VT8235 ISA Bridge
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A
VT8237 PCI bridge [K8T800/K8T890

HTE726060M9AT00
PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-K16RS

I'll get you the bios on next reboot.

Thank you,

3 years, isn't old at all.
I had this grub prompt issue on a 10-year old machine of mine, but I don't know if it is because of low memory (I didn't search much).

I think that an older version could work on your computer, but I understand that doing it for any previous version is a lot of work. So, try to boot with 0.3.1-1, to see if it detects your hardware and all your current partitions accurately. If so, you could work with it.

I have been using 0.3.1-1 but would prefer to use the newest release.

I am interested in helping to fix this problem so GParted LiveCD will be a better product.

Are the developers interested in fixing this problem?

Thank you,

The BIOS in my laptop is,

Insyde Software SCU
BIOS Ver. 1.06
EC Ver. 1.01

Will the developers please let me know if there is interest in fixing this problem?

Thank you,

GParted and GParted LiveCD are dead.

Will the developers please let me know if there is interest in fixing this problem?

There are none. class413 has been busting his butt answering questions on here and he is really all that's left of this project. Larry doesn't have time for the LiveCD and who knows where plors the GParted developer went.

I started the GParted LiveCD project and made version 0.3.1-1, so you could just go ahead and use Parted Magic because I would bet anything it would work just fine and it has the newest kernel/parted/GParted.

Patrick Verner
www.partedmagic.com

Using Parted magic is another solution to try, as Larry (the former software maintainer) couldn't return into the project before long.

PS I have to thank Patrick for the kind comments about myself.

I am sorry to hear that the projects GParted and GParted LiveCD are dead.  My sincere apologies if I missed this information on the website.

A reliable replacement for Partition Magic is needed since Symantec ruined that software a long time ago.

I will look into seeing if Parted Magic works on my hardware.

And thank you very much for your time and effort placed into these projects.

Parted Magic is booting in different manner, less automatic but what you need is just to boot Linux so that Gparted runs.

less automatic?

You just press enter and it boots straight to the desktop. GParted stops several times and you have to type in stuff. Try version Parted Magic 1.8, you might be surprised how far it's come.

I knew previous Parted magic versions. I'll try 1.8 on my own computer, that goes no fully automatic with Gparted (and with Knoppix too).

Parted Magic version 1.8 boots without problems I will use this in the future for my partition editor needs.

Thank you again for all your help.