51 (edited by Zam478 2009-01-14 03:46:21)

Re: [SOLVED] OPIE Linux on Palm Tungsten E2 With GParted [SOLVED]

Ok, so can I do that in Puppy Linnux, or the GParted Live boot disc, wait, if I'm on Puppy Linux, can't I install GParted? But, after rereading it, can you give me like a step by step way of doing it (like I've said 100 times before, I'm new to this, my first Linux experience was Puppy Linux. So when you're writing out what to do, can you write like
1. Instructions
2. Instructions
3. etc
I'm sorry if this request is a little time consuming. I just don't get it.
Sorry!
~ Zam478

One day Microsoft and Apple will settle their differences and create one company named Applesoft. Then again, maybe Microsoft will go bankrupt, but I'll let you decide which one you think will happen.

Short instruction :

1. Forget "GParted" at the moment.
2. Launch "Puppy Linux"
3. Attach your SDHC card
4. Wait a moment, until its 3 icons appear on the desktop, single-click on sd.3 (maybe sda3, sdb3 or else), compare what you see with my print-out. If you see folder icons, I would expect the following :
bin, boot, dev, etc, home, lib, lost+found, media, mnt, opt, proc, sbin, sys, temp, usr, var
If so, open folder "bin" and look, that it is not empty. If this is true, congratulations ... you did a good job, and I was wrong with my negative assumption, proceed with step 5.
Probably however, you see only one file : "new_image.ext2" ... just MOVE it back to "my-documents" per drag and drop ( both two file manager windows open ).
Click on the Terminal icon, type

mkdir /mnt/ext2
[RETURN-key]
mount -o loop /root/my-documents/new_image.ext2 /mnt/ext2
[RETURN-key]

Verify the successful operation : Open "Home"-icon, click icon "Parent Folder", click "mnt", click "ext2". You should see all 16 above mentioned folders. Right-click "Select All Files" (maybe there is also an icon). Open "sd.3", drag source-package, drop to "sd.3", select "MOVE". All files and folders should be transferred.

5. Verify "sd.1" (vfat), structure must be as shown in my last post.

6. Shutdown "Puppy Linux", saving your personal profile.

7. Try to boot the Palm again with the SD card.

Good luck, maybe it works flawlessly.

cmdr

Um, something weird. I clicked on Console (thats what terminal is on Puppy Linux is right?) I typed in all of that. When I hit enter a second time this came up:

#mkir /mnt/ext2
#mount -o loop /root/my-documents/new_image.ext2 /mnt/ext2
#

Then I check my My Documents, and the new_image.ext2 file is the only one there. I also checked the ext2 SD partition and nothing was there (it's called "sdd3")
What am I doing wrong???
~ Zam478

One day Microsoft and Apple will settle their differences and create one company named Applesoft. Then again, maybe Microsoft will go bankrupt, but I'll let you decide which one you think will happen.

54 (edited by cmdr 2009-01-16 04:14:42)

Hello Zam478,

what did you type to console ( first line ):

a. mkdir /mnt/ext2 (correct)
b. mkir /mnt/ext2 (typo) ?

If Num Lock is disabled (default), [ENTER] in the Num key block does not work, use [RETURN] instead or enable Num Lock!

Note, that Linux does not use the backslash in paths; it is instead a "magic-hood" for characters, which else would act as control signs, cf. Regular Expressions.

Do not type comments ( starting with "#" until Line Feed).

New intermediate steps
===============

2+. Verify, that file "new_image.ext2" has 110 MB (with console commands)

cd /root/my-documents
[ENTER]
ls -l -h
[ENTER]

("l" is 2 times lower-case "L"; command corresponds to DOS "dir"-command)

4+.

mkdir /mnt/ext2
[ENTER]
sleep 1
[ENTER]
cd /mnt/ext2 # fault : no such file or directory
[ENTER]
[ENTER]

As an alternative to the graphical file manager, you can also verify with console commands, whether "new_image.ext2" got mounted.

Since you already changed directory to "/mnt/ext2", type

ls -l -h
[ENTER]
#visible : bin, boot, dev, etc, home, lib, lost+found, media, mnt, opt, proc, sbin, sys, temp, usr, var

Now, we also copy with console command

cp -r * /mnt/sdd3 #copy all recursively to ext2-partition
[ENTER]
#patience please...
cd /mnt/sdd3
[ENTER]
ls -l -h
#visible : bin, boot, dev, etc, home, lib, lost+found, media, mnt, opt, proc, sbin, sys, temp, usr, var
[ENTER]
cd bin
[ENTER]
ls -l -h
[ENTER]
#visible : a bunch of files

5. (New, use this instead): Verify vfat-partition

mkdir /mnt/sdd1
[ENTER]
mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/sdd1
[ENTER]
cd /mnt/sdd1
[ENTER]
ls -l -h
[ENTER]
# zImage, linux.boot.cfg, Palm (folder)
cd Palm/Launcher
[ENTER]
ls -l -h
# cocoboot
[ENTER]

"sdd1" can't be empty, because you already successfully launched cocoboot / zImage.

Please follow exactly my instructions in its given sequence and avoid any typo, don't omit or add something.

You are so close to success !
cmdr

Well, linux.boot.cfg refuses to copy. I copy it over, disconnect, reconnect, and it's gone. So whenever I boot it says: linux.boot.cfg: not found, like it used to do. Also, can you put what I actually write in console inside a quote and put "Enter" when i hit enter? that would really make things a lot less complicated for me, thanks!

Hello ZAM478,
done as ordered.

Well, linux.boot.cfg refuses to copy.

I would bet, that it's empty or that you forgot to mount "sdd1" before copying. Empty files get not copied in Linux, unmounted drives do not store anything. Rewrite "linux.boot.cfg" with "geany" and store it directly on the mounted "sdd1" root folder. Do not unplug mounted drives, u(n)mount them first (right-click on desktop icon).

Regards
cmdr

Ok, I will try that. One question though, well, actually 2, 1. whats with the capital ZAM478 (typo I'm assuming) and "done as ordered".
Thank You VERY Much for ALL the Help!
~ Zam478

Ok, Now that I've got straightened out (thanks bye the way!) I have a NEW error message! Here is what it says:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 0        0
70 linux.boot.cfg
drwxr-xr-x   3 0         0          20 
48 dcim
drwxr-xr-x   4 0         0          20
48 palm
drwxr-x---   4 1000    1000
0 ..
drwxr-xr-x   4 0         0        163
82  .
sourcing linux.boot.cfg: found.
post_module script: not found.
mount swap at /dev/mmcblk0p2: Adding 562
16k swap on /dev/mmcblk0p2.   Priotrity: -1
extents:1 across: 56216k
done.
mounting rootfs: EXT2-fs warning: mounti
ng unchecked fs, running e2fsock is recom
mended
mounted
moving /media/mmc1 to /newroot/media/mmc
mount: Mounting /media/mmc1 on /newroot/
media/mmc1 failed: No such file or direc
tory.
running switch_root...
switch_root: Bad console '/dev/console'
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to
kill init!

It looks different then the prevous ones, so I decided I should write all of it!
Thank You Again!
~ Zam478

Hello Zam478,

it doesn't look that bad.

Analysis :

Attributes                        Size     Name 
-rwxr-xr-x   1    0       0         70 linux.boot.cfg
drwxr-xr-x   3    0       0     2048 dcim
drwxr-xr-x   4    0       0     2048 palm
drwxr-x---   4 1000    1000       0 ..
drwxr-xr-x   4    0       0    16382 .

This part of your print-out shows a vfat-File/Folder table. "linux.boot.cfg" exists and has the expected size. As a secondary finding, I see, that your SD card was used as Photo flash card (folder "dcim" survived).

sourcing linux.boot.cfg: found. # ok
post_module script: not found.  # IDK
16k swap on /dev/mmcblk0p2.   Priotrity: -1
extents:1 across: 56216k
done. #ok, swap partition ready

mounting rootfs: EXT2-fs warning:
mounting unchecked fs,
running e2fsock is recommended
mounted # seems ok, despite warning

moving /media/mmc1 to /newroot/media/mmc1
mount: Mounting /media/mmc1 on /newroot/media/mmc1 failed:
No such file or directory. # /newroot/media/mmc is missing !
running switch_root...
kill init!

Summary :
1. "cocoboot" works.
2. "zImage" / linux.boot.cfg" works.
3. swap-partition gets mounted.
4. rootfs on ext2-partition gets mounted.
5. Transition to "opie" fails:
   "/media/mmc1" empty (it exists !) or "/newroot/media/mmc1" does not exist.

It's your closest approach up to now.

You need an expert, who knows exactly the boot sequence of "opie" to proceed, which I'm not. Ask a Palm / opie forum for advice (what you actually already did) and show them your last print-out.

Good luck
cmdr

P.S : If you find a solution, it would be nice, to present it here as a short and straight-forward instruction for other users.

I actually never got that new_image.ext2 file to turn into 16 files, it never worked... Also, do you know of an OPIE forum? You said I already did, but I forgot! lol So if you know that one, please say!

Hi Zam478,

I actually never got that new_image.ext2 file to turn into 16 files, it never worked...

Well, "new_image.ext2" contains 16 main folders, 372 subfolders and 6784 files.
If you download an error free "new_image.ext2.bz2" (23MB) to "Puppy Linux", unpack it to "new_image.ext2" (110 MB), mount it temporarily, copy it totally to the ext2-partition of your SD card, following my instructions, so what is the problem ? I tested it with ease and repeatedly.

Also, do you know of an OPIE forum? You said I already did, but I forgot! lol So if you know that one, please say!

http://forum.brighthand.com/showpost.ph … ostcount=8

Regards
cmdr

I'm saying I only copied the one file of new_image.ext2 to the .ext2 partition, and I am wondering if I NEED this to do it, becuase it never seems to work for me...

63 (edited by Zam478 2009-01-17 02:05:12)

Also, that forum is only for the T|X.

Hello Zam478,

cmdr/09-01-12 wrote:

I did not realize, that the Linux kernel does NOT mount the ext2-file (which is a drive image) during boot, but needs the contained files ready on the ext2-partition of your SD card before. You had it in your instructions !

"Mounting" means to make the content of a file system accessible for Linux. Maybe it's a drive image (a file), a real drive or a network drive.

I'm saying I only copied the one file of new_image.ext2 to the .ext2 partition, and I am wondering if I NEED this to do it, becuase it never seems to work for me...

It's definitely proven, that this procedure is wrong (low Palm memory; instructions on "handheld.org"). What do you expect? A miracle ?

In my recent instructions, I had various verification steps, which should give you a control, whether something went wrong and what. You did not give any feedback about these intermediate steps... except the overall result : no boot.

What should I do, what would you do in my stead now?

Baffled
cmdr

I am SOOO sorry! I should have given you more details! I have not been into this the last day. I have had some other issues... But I will try that again. Also, you said "(starting with "#" until Line Feed)." The # is automaticly put in the line by console whenever I start it.

In a Linux (bash) script, "#" is the comment sign. Everything, that follows until end of line is discarded.
Terminal/Console within "Puppy Linux" uses this same sign as single prompt (where your input gets written); but what would you think of a program, that ignores all your inputs ? In other words : it doesn't have the feared effect, except YOU use it a second time within your input line.

cmdr

Oh ok... so are you saying that the # at the beginning of each line is nothing to worry about?

Ok I just tried booting, here is what it says:

-rwxr-xr-x     1 0        0       
70 linux.boot.cfg
drwxr-xr-x    3 0        0          20
48 dcim
drwxr-xr-x    4 0        0          20
48 palm
drwxr-x---     4 1000  1000
0 ..
drwxr-xr-x    4 0        0         163
84 .
sourcing linux.boot.cfg: found.
post_module script: not found.
16k swap on /dev/mmcblk0p2. Priority: -1
extents: 1 across 56216k
done.
mounting rootfs: EXT2-fs warning: mounti
ng unchecked fs, runny e2fsck is recom
mended
mounted
moving /media/mmc1 to /newroot/media/mmc
mount: Mounting /media/mmc1 on /newroot/
media/mmc1 failed: No such file or direc
tory
running switch_root...
kill init!

And now that I look at my last post that I wrote down what it said, I notice that it's the exact same. I guess I didn't remember the Kernel Panic part... Oh well, it's always good to have a copy of what it said close at hand!

Hello Zam478,

one aspect got my attention yesterday: "new_image.ext2" has 110 MB size. You said, that you provided 100 MB with ext2-partition on SDD3.This might be too small, in particular because there is no space left for storing anything with the PALM. The instructions on "handheld.org" say, that you should have "100MB + personal space for Linux". You should use "Gparted" again.

Here are (slightly modified, foolproof) new instructions to finally save the situation :

1. Start "Puppy Linux 4.1.2", have your SD card attached, mount all three partitions (sdd1 - sdd3) by clicking on its respective desktop icon (success=green light)!

2. Click on "SDD3"-Icon. If exists "new_image.ext2", delete it !

3. Launch your Internet connection with "Connect".

4. Open "Browser" and download "new_image.ext2.bz2" (again!)
(source : http://nerdfeliz.com/palmte2/new_image.ext2.bz2)
Keep default storage folder : "/root/my-documents"

5. Open "Console"(Terminal), type (except lines with # at the beginning)

#Step 1
cd /root/my-documents
[ENTER]
#Step 2
ls -l -h
[ENTER]
#l is lower-case L (twice)
#
#expected : "new_image.ext2.bz2" ~ 30 MB
#
#Step 3
bzip2 -dk "./new_image.ext2.bz2"
[ENTER]
#
#"new_image.ext2.bz2" does not get deleted,
# while "new_image.ext2" is created !
#
#Step 4
ls -l -h
[ENTER]
#
#expected : "new_image.ext2" ~ 110 MB
#
#Step 5
mkdir /mnt/ext2
[ENTER]
#Step 6
sleep 1
[ENTER]
#Step 7
cd /mnt/ext2
[ENTER]
#Step 8
[ENTER]
#Step 9
ls -l -h
[ENTER]
#
#visible FOLDERS:
#bin, boot, dev, etc, home, lib, lost+found,media,
#mnt, opt, proc, sbin, sys, temp, usr, var
#
#Quick prayer, if it worked !
#
#Step 10
cp -r * /mnt/sdd3
[ENTER]
#patience please...
#Step 11
cd /mnt/sdd3
[ENTER]
#Step 12
ls -l -h
#
#visible FOLDERS:
#bin, boot, dev, etc, home, lib, lost+found,media,
#mnt, opt, proc, sbin, sys, temp, usr, var
#
[ENTER]
#Step 13
cd bin
[ENTER]
#Step 14
ls -l -h
[ENTER]
#
#visible : a bunch of files
#
########################
#verify vfat-Partition #
########################
#Step 15
cd /mnt/sdd1
[ENTER]
#Step 16
ls -l -h
[ENTER]
#
# obligatory: zImage, linux.boot.cfg, PALM (folder)
#
#Step 17
cd PALM/Launcher
[ENTER]
#Step 18
ls -l -h
# obligatory: cocoboot
[ENTER]

Note ANY fault message or discrepancy and the step number of its occurrence. Most often it makes no sense to proceed afterwards. Avoid typos, do not omit spaces and respect case-sensitivity.
Do not boot, unless you reported full success of all steps to me.

cmdr

I also noticed the size issue, so I increased the size to 150 MB (it's a 256MB card, so I just made it the size of the rest of the card). Also, the Linux-swap partition doesn't come up. It goes SDD*1 and then SDD*3. No SDD*2.
* - This letter may be SDB, SDC, SDD, etc.

GREAT NEWS!!! EVERYTHING WENT PERFECTLY! All the files are IN place!!

Hello Zam478,
then BOOT THE PALM !

cmdr

73 (edited by Zam478 2009-08-07 21:33:30)

IT WORKS!!! Thank you cmdr for helping me!!! I COULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS WITHOUT YOU!!! Thank you sooo much!
~ Zam478

Hello Zam478,

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
... and don't forget to put [SOLVED] to the thread title.

So long
cmdr

Oh ya, thanks for reminding me!
So Long, too!
zam478
P.S. Who knows, i might come back with a new Linux problem! So be watching!
P.S.S. Thanks again!