Topic: NTFS resize problems.

I tried to resize my NTFS partitions last night, following the "GETTING FREE SPACE TO GROW-UP A PARTITION" instructions. However, when I hit "Apply" it failed at the fourth step (resizing up the primary partition). It failed in the dry run phase (sorry - no screenshot).
I rebooted and my secondary partition got chkdsked (and passed).
Now, however, when I return to qparted, it thinks that the partitions are what I wanted them to be. (again, no screenshots - sorry). The problem is that XP thinks that the drive volume size is the new size, but the capacity is the old size (Screenshot!!!! Problem marked in red).

I'm just about to restart and checkdsk /f c: to see if that fixes it, but if not.....any ideas? If it doesn't, is it still safe to use the computer, or do I risk corruption if I do (I'm primarily worried about the F: drive from the screenshot below...the one that shrank).

I can post gparted screenshots for anything in the future if it helps (well...when I return from work).

Many thanks for all your efforts on gparted!

lissajous

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa145/lissajous/drivemap.png

Re: NTFS resize problems.

I think youd better resize back your partition manually (using fdisk ...) and then see how it goes.
I hope you made a backup, as you ALWAYS should do.

Maybe you could meet on IRC, in some hours ?

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

xp needs at least 2 reboots to understand. It is a silly system. tongue
In my computer, I did only 1 step each time with gparted. First, I reduced the ntfs partition. After the 1st reboot it did the chckdsk or scandisk and just after it did automatically the 2nd reboot. After that, I saw a message that a new device was installed etc etc. I waited for 2-3 minutes to be sure that nothing other happened, and I did a 3rd reboot. I checked that the partitions had the size I wanted. I even rebooted for a last time in xp, and after that I did the second step with gparted (make a new partition in the unallocated space).  Before each 'gparted' action, I performed the disk checking in xp. This was quite long (I spent a few hours in the night, although the actions of gparted were not longer than 10 seconds each), but I liked to be sure I understand that anything goes.

Did you try the Error-checking in the "Disk management" ? There is an option "Rescan disks" too.
(There was another command in win95+98, scandisk, but it seems that it is now obsolete).

*** It is highly recommended to backup any important files before doing resize/move operations. ***

Hmm.....I'd rather not fdisk the partition back, as it'll trash my XP install (won't it?)....do you expect that resizing the C: partition down with gparted so it matches what XP thinks it should have, rebooting, chkdisking, and repartitioning back up may work?
I can possibly pop on IRC later tonight when I'm back from work....where do you hang out, and when are you likely to be there until?

lissajous wrote:

Hmm.....I'd rather not fdisk the partition back, as it'll trash my XP install (won't it?)....

One thing is the file system, another thing is the partition !
If you delete the partition data are still there ! but are not accessible

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

[SOLVED!] Hi - just thought I'd update y'all on my NTFS resize problem. Well I solved it yesterday. I simply resized the partition to a few meg smaller than current. The resize went through OK, Windows chkdsk'ed fine, and now all the numbers match. A minor hack, but it worked :-) Thanks for the suggestions everyone - hopefully if someone else has the same problem they'll come across this workaround.