Topic: Partition Magic/gparted Discrepincy

I tried to install Ubuntu 7.0 last night and screwed up my hard drive.  Is there anyway I can recover the lost section of my hd?  When I try to partition now in Ubuntu it only gives the option of working with
dev/sda.  Total size of the four partitions sda1,sda2 sda5, and sda6 is 250055MB.  When I look at my partitions with Partition Magic 8.0 it shows a total size of 141GB (approx).  The hd is 250GB.  It also shows an extended partition of 16392...MB  with status of none and it is a primary partition.  When I look at the partitions using GParted it shows an extended partition (/dev/sda3) of 160GB .  The total size of the partitions (/dev/sda1 through /dev/sda6) as 391.5 GB.  If I subtract the size of the extended partition(160GB) the total size is 231GB, closer to the actual size of the hard drive.  I am using win xp media.  Is there anyway I can recover my hard drive?  Can I delete the extended partition (/dev/sda3 in GParted) and/or the extended partition in Partition Magic (* ).  I am unable to do anything with the extended partition in PM.  Hope you can give me some assistance.
Thanks,
Cygnis1