Topic: Merge Unallocated space into Ext3 Partition

I have a Gateway Laptop that is dual booting Vista and Ubuntu 7.04.  When I installed the OS I resized the Vista partition to 80gb.  The way it was worded I thought I was giving the Ubuntu partition 80gb. 

sda1   ntfs   9.74gb
sda2   ntfs   80ish gb
sda3   ext3  55.99gb
sda4   extended swap   2.43gb

I installed GParted and the NTFStools.  Using Gparted I was able to shrink the sda2 NTFS partition down to 58.59gb.  This created 22.30gb of free space between the sda2 and sda3. Now my setup looks like.

sda1   ntfs   9.74gb
sda2   ntfs   58.59gb
unallocated   22.30gb
sda3   ext3  55.99gb
sda4   extended swap   2.43gb

The only place it seems I can use this unallocated space is in the NTFS partition the space came from. What I would like to do is add this space to sda3 to give sda3, which is mounted as / the total of 78.29.  Hopefully someone here can help me.

Re: Merge Unallocated space into Ext3 Partition

Really? Nobody?  The only thing I can come up with is to boot into a livecd and remove the ext3 and extended swap partitions, then reinstall linux using all of the unallocated space at the end of the drive.  Does anyone have any other ideas?  Or am I correct that unallocated space can only be partitioned itself, or given to the partition preceeding it?