Topic: Windows Vista Does not boot after Resize

Hi, I am new to this utility.

I am running Windows Vista OS. Since partition Magic 8.0 does not with Vista, and there is not such tool, I used GParted using a boot disk. Here is what I had and what I did.

One Physical disk of 160 GB. I had 2 partitition C Drive of 25 GB and Rest of the size was for D Drive.
I shrunl D Drive by 10 GB and Gave it (Resize) it to C Drive. C Drive contains the Vista (Boot)

The resize operation went well though it took 1.5 hours. After applying the changes,

I an trying to boot the macgine using Vista, But I am unable to do so. I get the first boot screen
(small box)

But it just sits there after intial disk activities for about 20 seconds.

Can someone help please.

Thanks.

Re: Windows Vista Does not boot after Resize

smmehta wrote:

I used GParted using a boot disk.

Since there is no GParted on boot disk, i cant guess how you did !
You'd better try the last beta-iso and see how it goes.
---------> http://gparted-forum.surf4.info/viewtopic.php?id=313

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

smmehta wrote:

Hi, I am new to this utility.

I am running Windows Vista OS. Since partition Magic 8.0 does not with Vista, and there is not such tool, I used GParted using a boot disk. Here is what I had and what I did.

One Physical disk of 160 GB. I had 2 partitition C Drive of 25 GB and Rest of the size was for D Drive.
I shrunl D Drive by 10 GB and Gave it (Resize) it to C Drive. C Drive contains the Vista (Boot)

The resize operation went well though it took 1.5 hours. After applying the changes,

I an trying to boot the macgine using Vista, But I am unable to do so. I get the first boot screen
(small box)

But it just sits there after intial disk activities for about 20 seconds.

Can someone help please.

Thanks.

I have run into this problem too. After using the GParted LiveCD, vista does not want to boot. This has happened to me twice. The first time, after expanding the partition 1gb to the left, vista would start to boot, but would not get passed the progress bar. The solution was to run chkdsk on the partition. I am not sure how to run chkdsk from the vista partition, but it was run by XP. I have a healthy xp partition on my hd. After failing to launch vista, I booted xp. Before booting, xp ran chkdsk on all the partitions that I modified. I have noticed this everytime I use GParted. XP always checks the disk before booting (it never finds errors). After chkdsk was run, vista booted fine.

The second time this happened (about twenty minutes ago) I expanded the vista partition about 8 gigs to the left. This time, immediately after trying to boot vista, it told me it cannot find the file winload.exe, error 0x000025C (I think that was the error code, kinda forgot). This time chkdsk was not the trick. To fix it, I put in the vista installation disk, booted from it, did the repair option, and after a few moments of thinking, it told me it found an error in my startup options and fixed it.

It seems that vista does not like the way gparted handles the partition, but it also seems that the problems are minor and easily fixed.

Well the problem is a bit different.
ATM GParted cant resize vista. We dont know why : this comes from GParted and C++ programation.
Nevertheless you can resize Vista using the livecd and command line :
Just run ntfsresize and it will do the trick ...
I gonna post something about that point asap...

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)