Topic: Partition Table lost- need help- Live CD!

Hello, after rezising reiserfs partition I tried to set a label for the volume with some partitions on it like ntfs, fat32, and reiserfs. Gparted crashed and now my partition- table is lost. I did not format any drive, so I hope I CAN RESTORE DATA anyway? My last backup was long time ago, I can not explain how important it ist for me to get my home-folders back.
Thanks for your help! martin

Re: Partition Table lost- need help- Live CD!

yeah, using testdisk you can recover your partition table

Larry
GParted-project Admin
Former GParted-LiveCD maintainer (2007)

Thank you! I think this is an option of the LiveCD? I boot from LiveCD, choose the HDD and select "Test Drive" and than I will see?

martin

Open a terminal and type 'testdisk', then it's only a matter of reading carefully:)

I am very interested in this crashing of gparted. Could you provide a little bit more information about the version of the livecd you used, your hardware and what operations you were doing exactly?

thnx smile

Thank you, I'v got some of my partitions back but there are still problems with heads and cylinders. Testdisk say's that I should have 255 heads but ther are 16. How can I change this settings without so much fear?

gparted crashing: I used the gparted-livecd-0.3.3 because my Kanotix (Debian Sid) has made problems while mounting devices and networking, so I shut it down and could not bring my Kanotix up again. After booting Kanotix-LiveCD and reinstall Grub it was still the same.
After starting with gparted LiveCD I was shure that all Partitions where present. I deleted one reiserfs and rezised another reiserfs-partition to make it bigger. Than I set a label for the volume (dont know why) and gparted was crashing. After reboot the HDD seems to be blank.
martin

it's not possible to set a volumelabel from within gparted yet. So i think you have set the disktype (to 'msdos' e.g.) This procedure will warn you repeatetly about losing all partitions etc..
I think this might explain the 'blank' HDD.
However, i still don't understand why gparted crashed. I take it the operations hda finished succesfully and it only crashed after setting the disklabel? (this can be deduced from the fact that setting a disklabel is different from the other operations)